Chapter 19: Scotch and Cuban Cigars

I finally accept a dinner date from Giovanni on Friday. He doesn't tell me where he's taking me but says to dress fancy. Lace has pulled out some of the dresses she's designed for me to try on for the date.

"How about this one?"

She pulls out a long tight off the shoulder evening gown, that was Lace from the middle of my waist and up to the off the shoulder part.

I nod, "I'll wear this because he's already seen me in red".

By the time I have on my dress, shoes and hair is done, it's around 7 pm.

"Soph? He's here...You OK?"

I look up at Mr. Santayana, "I think so?"

He smiles, "You look beautiful dear don't stress".

He pulls me up from the bed and embraces me, "I already had a talk with him and he knows what will happen if he breaks my baby girl's heart".

I laugh not being able to imagine sweet Mr. Santayana hurting scary looking Giovanni.

***

We enter a very expensive Italian restaurant where Giovanni made reservations to. The restaurant is dim and there aren't many people here.

A lanky waiter comes over with a bottle of alcohol, "Scotch for you Boss?"

Giovanni shakes his head leaving the man surprised.

"And you Miss?"

I shake my head no, "Maybe some water please?"

He is surprised but leaves and comes back with my water.

I turn to Giovanni, "Why didn't you take the scotch?"

He sips my water, "I know you don't like the smell of alcohol".

I frown, "How? I never told you".

He smiles, "Your easy to read Bella".

The waiter returns ready to order our appetizer.

"I'll have Cheesy tomato Bruschetta".

He jots it down, "And the Miss?"

I look up at Gio confused, "You order for me"

He turns back to the waiter, "She'll have Arancini".

The waiter leaves and comes back with small looking pizza's and fried balls.

I smile at the nervous waiter, "Thank you".

Giovanni doesn't bother though he starts to dig into his food.

I roll my eyes and cut one of the balls in half, "I think this is a great time to tell you that I get nervous about trying new food".

Giovanni wipes his mouth and takes my fork from me, "Close your eyes".

I don't hesitate and feel him pushing one of the balls in my mouth, I chew it slowly.

"This is one of Italian's famous appetizers. It basically is a fried rice ball stuffed with risotto, different cheeses and ham".

I smile and open my eyes, "It's really good".

He chuckles, "I wouldn't feed you something I thought you wouldn't like Mon Cheri".

I raise a brow, "You know French?"

He feeds me the other half of the Arancini, "I can speak, German, Spanish, French, Dutch, Swahili, Mandarin, Russian and of course Italian. I started learning languages in sixth grade till senior year. Every year I learned a different one".