Chapter 43: Jailbreak

INCASE YOU DIDN'T SEE THIS FROM LAST CHAPTER: How about I make a deal with you guys? If the chapter I post on Saturday gets at least 50 votes before Wednesday I'll do an early post Wednesday morning.

I am awoken by a gut feeling that something terrible had just happened.

After the Christmas party Giovanni flattered me by taking me all around Italy but these last 2 days I have barely seen him.

I now hear Lucia running to her room screaming and crying.

Sitting up I decide to pray then wait for Giovanni to come upstairs.

30 minutes pass and I am about to go down there but the door opens and Giovanni walks in with his arms in his pant pockets.

The energy in the room drops and a shiver runs down my spine.

"Did you know that one of my men was seducing my baby sister?"

I get up from the bed, "She didn't tell me-"

He removes his suit jacket, "So you didn't know?"

"Lucia has never told me that they were seeing each other...but-"

Giovanni looks at me and I look away from him timidly.

"I went to get water one day and I found her crying...she had a scar at the corner of her eye and was bleeding".

All warmth had been removed from the room. It was so quiet I had to look up at him to see if he was still here.

"There were old bruises on her arms as well. I told her she had to tell you and she promised me she would".

Slowly Gio walks to me and sit down on the bed as my heart drops.

"Help me understand Sophia. You knew that he was beating my sister but you didn't bother to tell me?"

I blink, "I promised her that I wouldn't. And honestly it was not my business to tell. And for crying out loud I haven't seen you in two days-"

He chuckles, "So you couldn't have called me?"

"I-I promised her I wouldn't-"

"He could have killed my sister if it continued and you would have kept on watching because you promised her you wouldn't? Why would you hold back something big like that?"

This was not entirely my fault. Lucia was an adult so she can make adult choices. I now understand that she was a victim of domestic abuse and she couldn't see that her relationship was bad.

I didn't realize I was crying until he wiped a tear that was rolling down my cheek.

"You disappointed me".

***

I wake up at noon the next day with a headache from all the crying I did last night.

I sit up in bed and watch as a maid zips up my suitcases.

"What are you doing?"

She looks at me startled, "Don Anastasi has ordered me to pack your clothing".

I stand up, "Why?"

She smiles that annoying smile of hers, "Your plane is leaving in 30 minutes I believe".

I turn on my phone, "It's new years, we still have three more days here".

The maid comes closer to me, "I heard-"

The door opens freezing us both, "That's enough Carrie. Leave".