Chapter 14: A Liar with a Ring

Lucia's POV

The rest of the week I avoid both Gabriele and Marissa like the plague. I was embarrassed and felt like Gabriele had only been playing with me. He was 21 and I was only 17, he knew-everyone knew I was a virgin.

I lived a protected life where Gio kept a tight watch on my every movements. I went to a private all girls Catholic school all my life where I only see boys during winter dances and even then the Nuns are strict with us.

A girl actually got kicked out from the school after kissing a boy at one of the dances.

Gabriele who got hired a 2 years back started off as a crush for me, my 15 year old self would spy on him admiring him from a far.

Then one day back in April he approached me and we went from friends who share secrets to friends who share kisses.

I knew Marissa had a liking to him, she even told me herself. But when I brought up my insecurities to Gabriele he told me not to worry about her that she was only joking. He brushed my feelings aside as if I was a little kid who was annoying him.

After dinner I climb up to my room to get ready for bed. After showering and braiding my hair I head to my bed but freeze.

Right at the center of my pillows was a small brown teddy bare with a note.

'Let me explain'.

I couldn't believe it, he came in my room while I was showering and after he cheated he has the audacity to send me a bear with a note.

OK so we weren't exactly together so it isn't really cheating but still he can't kiss me and kiss another girl too and he'd be furious if I kissed someone else.

I couldn't sleep the rest of the night, I didn't know what to do. Do I talk to him or ignore him forever?

I climb out of bed and head to Giovanni's room.

"Lucia?"

The room is dark and Giovanni is seated up in bed.

"Can I sleep with you tonight?"

"Sure baby, come here".

I climb into his bed and sit on his lap.

"What do you do when you have an important decision to make?"

He frowns, "I already said I don't want you going out of the Country for College".

"Daddy used to tell me to make a list of pros and cons and if the good outweighs the bad go for it but if they don't then wait for something better".

He scoffs as his eyes grey over in the moonlight, "He never gave me advise as such".

Although I know he will avoid my question like usual I ask anyways, "What happened between Daddy and you Gio?"

"How about you pray?", he changes the subject.

"Ugh you sound like Sister Esther and when did you start liking religion?".

"Come on and Your the one who went to Catholic school".

"OK, Hail Mary-"

"No, Pray to God himself".

"How do I do that?"

"Just tell him what you want him to do".

"You do it Gio".

He sighs and tells me to close my eyes, "Dear God, I pray you will help Lucia with this tough choice she has to make. Give her strength, courage and guidance, Amen".

I open my eyes, "Who taught you how to pray?"

A small smile teases his lips, "A Lady with the most beautiful heart".

***

The next day after hours of thinking I decide to give Gabriele a chance to explain himself. It was 2 am the time I usually used to visit him and I found myself knocking on Gabrielle's room.

"Lucia".

I walk in, "You have 1 minute".

He pulls on joggers and nods, "Marissa came onto me-"

"You're way bigger then her, you couldn't push her off you?"

"She said she knew about the two of us and would tell Boss".

"Gabriele-"

"Please Lucia".

He pulls out a ring.

Remember to Vote :)