Chapter 57: Hostage

Wendy's POV

Speaking to Felix boosted my mood tremendously. Seeing him and knowing that he forgave me gave me hope for Pan. I told Felix I would do anything, and I meant it. I'm desperate. But like Felix had said, I probably shouldn't let Pan know that. It wouldn't be safe.

Just as I had thought of Pan, he appeared, his green eyes piercing through my blue ones. I lifted my head and gulped out of habit. He was in a tree branch next to the cage and I couldn't shake the feeling of dejuvu. For a moment it looked as if he was going to frown, but of course he smirked.

"Awake I see." He sets back and plays with an apple in hand. I would die for that apple, I swear. I hadn't remember the last time I had eaten anything. Was this the plan? To starve me? I sure hope not, huger makes people do crazy things.

"Yes," I say tiredly, "are you bored already?" I try to be snarky, but the weakness is still evident in my voice.

"Perhaps." He pauses and looks me up and down, as if I'm prey and he's the predator going to eat me alive. I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss his mint green eyes, peering into my soul.

"Wendy I control you, as you may know." He pulls my beating red heart out from his coat pocket. "With your heart in my grips, I can make you do and say anything."

I breath in, "I know this Pan. What are you getting at?" I am but a mouse in a mouse trap, awaiting the ferocious cat to devour me. "Haven't I proved myself to you? I could have used my powers to release me from this horrid cage. However I haven't"

Taking a crisp bite out of the apple, Pan lightly chuckles. "We both know you can't, dear. You're far too weak." He places my heart back behind his vest.

Of course I am, he has kept me hunched over in a cage, only being let out three times a day to use the bathroom. I haven't had anything to eat and I haven't been able to sleep in the two days I've been trapped. On top of all that my magic is already weak. He must know, he has to be feeling the same, without the starvation and sleep deprivation of course. 

After what seemed to be a glimpse of pity he reverts to his harsh way of talking. "You are aware of the island dying, yes?" I nod, "I know you believe you are some sort of savior, but I am here to tell you there is another way." 

My interest is peeked and I shift closer to Pan, "What do you mean?"

He smirks, "Well I know you thought you were special, but you aren't. After I foolishly mourned your death," He says with disgust, "I searched for answers. And found another solution. The heart of the Truest Believer." I remember as Felix told me of the child who had the unfortunate fate to be born with something of value to Pan. 

"I searched for this heart for years, made alliances with adults, and even broke some of my own rules to save the island and everyone on it. Despite how horrible you think of me, I am loyal to my island and the Lost Boys." I've always known this of him, its a dangerous loyalty to be a part of, but a fulfilling one none the less. 

"This boys heart, Henry, is the key to saving the island. There is only one problem." He winces in frustration. "This boy is stubborn. Not quick to trust. His family is quick to ruin my plans and I need more time." 

I look at him in confusion, what terrible things does he have planned? "That's where you, Wendy Darling, are of use." With a hellish smirk and the snap of his fingers I am freed from the cage and have appeared on the ground standing with Pan but a few inches from me. My knees quickly buckle under my weight, for I am not used to standing abruptly. Pan watches as I fall and for a moment it looked as if he wanted to help, but he merely left his watchful gaze upon me as I struggle to stand with shaky legs. 

Oh how I wish he would touch me. Just a hand graze or pat on the shoulder. Some affection to prove that a small part of him still loves me. Pan turns on his heels and begins to walk in the opposite direction to camp. "Felix will be here soon to explain the plan-" I take a few steps to him and use whatever bit of strength to grab his wrist and pull him to my chest, facing me.

"Please Peter, I am so sorry. I just didn't want anyone else to die, and I blamed myself deeply. Please listen to me!" Tears begin the well in my eyes, Pan stands still emotionlessly staring back at me. "I will apologize everyday if I have to, just please give me a chance to make it up to you!" I'm practically begging at this point. I just could't take it much longer, I had to let someone know. 

Pan slowly peeled my grip off him and stepped back, his expression not changing. "I don't love you Wendy Darling." I watched as he turned and walked away. Could it be true? I can't believe it be. I will not be weak and quick to loss faith. I will only show my loyalty further. Pan feeds off loyalty. 

Pan's POV

I walk back to the camp furious, Wendy's touch burned on my wrist. How dare she lay a finger on me, I should have punished her. But I need her trust, her gentle mentality. I need her to still believe in me, believe in us. She called me Peter, I haven't heard that name uttered in a century. I will not let her rattle me up, this is not a fault in my plans, but merely a step closer. She loves me. She feels guilty. She would do anything for me. And with that I smile to myself, and proceed with my plans.