Chapter 40: Hero?

Wendy's POV

My whole body ached and I could barely open my heavy eyes. I looked at my surroundings and realized I was in a cabin of some sorts.

Damn you Felix.

There was a fireplace, a chair, two cups and a pot in a pile in one corner, a big stone sink filled with water, a small table with a pot on it, another chair, and a hammock I was laying in.

Not very cheerful. But I didn't think it belonged to the Lost Boys. Where was I? I tried getting up but I was too sore and it was too painful.

I reluctantly slumped back down in the hammock and took deep breaths.

I creaking noises coming from below the floor, I supposed  someone was coming in. But there weren't any doors?

A plank of wood lifted up and out came a a woman with a blonde bun on her head, dressed in a dark green dress and leggings. She was carrying coconuts, herbs of some kind, and three bananas.

"Where am I?" I asked, my voice hoarse. The woman turned around quickly, surprised.

"You're up. Great." She stated, setting down the items and picking up a pot.

"I said where am I." I demanded, my Neverland instincts kicking in.

"My tree house. Felix brought you here unconscious. He said you needed to stay with me for a little while. I never question a Lost Boy. Learned that the hard way." She said as she added the herbs to the pot on the table.

"I don't need to stay here, I need to get back to camp." I firmly said.
"Felix also told me you would say that. But you're to weak, You need to rest. Why would you willingly want to go back to camp anyways?" She asked finally looking at me with her green eyes, one hand on her hip.

"And who are you?" I question, trying to set up, but only groan in pain. The woman sighed and came to help me, propping me up with a pillow.

Who was she anyways? Questioning me like that? She must not know who I am.

"I'm Tinkerbell. Might want to take it easy." She sits down in a chair and I nod.

"I've never seen you before." I ask looking her up and down. I was the first girl on Neverland, so she must have arrived after me.

"Never seen you before either." She said returning the look.

"I've been...away." I say clutching my necklace.

"Well I've been here about ten years on Neverland." She says standing up, going back to work on her pot.

"You do know time is...different on Neverland, don't you?" I ask, brow arched. Time was always different on Neverland. Time was slower when you were on the island, it felt like you where on the island for months, but it was only weeks in a different land, or it felt like hours, but it was minutes, days only hours. It was all so complicated. And when you were not on Neverland, time went by faster on the island. A week in the real world would be a month on Neverland.

That's why what was only three years in the real world, was fourteen on Neverland. She must've arrived four years after I was gone.

Tinkerbell nodded. "I know. That's why everyone stays so young, plus Neverland is a goldmine for magic. Where do you think Pan got his from?" She scoffed.

"How did you know that?" I asked curiously. I already knew from the book, but how did she?

"I just put two and two together. You allergic to basil?" She looked over her shoulder.

"No." She went back to work. "You sure do know a lot about magic." I speculated.

"You learn a lot when you're a fairy." She says cautiously. I arch my brow.

"Aren't you a little-well-big to be a fairy? Plus you don't have wings?" I suspiciously eyed her.

She sighs. "I used to be. Got my wings took away. I'm no longer a fairy. I guess that's what happens when you try to be nice." She stops for a moment before taking a deep breath.

"You're helping me." I say.

"Yes, well, I don't have much of a choice. I give what the Lost Boys want to survive on this island." I feel a sense of pity for her. First she lost her wings and now she's bond to a life of loneliness and fear on Neverland.

"I'm sorr-" I begin, for I was once in her position.

"Rabbit or squirrel?" She asks quickly changing the subject ,looking at me with a small smile. She must have been making soup.

"Rabbit." I say quietly. She nods and once again goes back to work, pulling a rabbit out of a satchel. It was already skinned and she chopped it up into tiny pieces and put it in the pot, placing it above the fireplace ,in a holder. (I have no idea what it's called)

She takes two cups from the corner of the room and dips them in the sink. Tinkerbell pulls a chair up to me and hands me the water.

"You should get some rest." She says referring to the bags under my eyes that I could feel. I was achingly tiered. I didn't get to sleep before leaving and that sleeping spell didn't refresh me at all.

"I should. But I'm not going to." I said taking a sip of cool water. I mentally sigh and want to fall asleep more than ever.

"I still don't know your name." She points out, obvious that she forgot to ask again.

"Wendy." Her eyes widen and she nearly spits out her water.

"You're Wendy!" She exclaims. I look at her confused.

"Yes, and?" I question, confused at why she suddenly acts like she's seen a ghost.

"Aren't you supposed to be dead?" She whisper yells, leaning in as if it's a secrets.

"No? Why would I be-"

"It's all the boys used to talk about, that was when Pan was gone at least. 'Wendy Darling. Sister, hero, and Lost Girl. The great Wendy lost her life fighting off the dangerous Dark One.' They talked about you like a story. I thought it was fake at first, but when I first brought up the story to Pan, he told me never to speak the name, and then he banished me from camp. That's when I knew it was true. I never got much intell, but I heard whispers, and they were all the riot. You're a hero to them Wendy." She said in a hush, as if telling a forbidden fairytale.

I looked at her speechless. "I think I'll take that nap now." I said finally. She looked surprised but nodded "I'll wake you when the soup is ready." ,and left. Well, left the area, it was quiet small so she wasn't really all that far, but it was enough.

So I rolled over, facing the wall, and let sleep consume me once again and thought of the stories the Lost Boys could make up. How funny.

A hero.

They thought I was a hero.

They were wrong though, I was no hero, just a savior. And I was going to fix Neverland and Peter Pan if it was the last thing I do.

After I export all the immigrants because I'm Donald Trump. (Jk, this Is a joke.)

Hey guys, I'm happy to say this is the last chapter.

Jk again. Sorry it's 1:20 and I need to sleep before I ruin this book any further.

Pic at top is something I edited.

Guys do you feel my chapters are too short? My goal for every chapter is 1,000 words or more. On really important chapters it can range from 2,000 to 3,000. Please tell me!

Guys get ready for my note next chapter because I'm about to rant. I'm unbelievably mad.

Okay I'm done.Goodnight my lovely ladybugs. (Or guys, I don't judge.)

Dang I did it again. The bad joke bug is in my head. I need to sleep.