New Friends

Now I've never been one to judge, but when Juleka mentioned hanging out at her house the last thing I expected was to be in the harbor looking at a large docked boat.

'Maybe I should have thought through going with these random people that I apparently go to school with?'

I shook the thought out of my mind because it was far too late for me to back out now. We walked along the dock towards the boat that Rose had excitedly pointed out a few minutes prior.

"Ya, my mom, my brother, and I live on a boat. It's pretty chill my mom is a little irresponsible. So we get free rein of the place most of the time"

I nodded along with her, " Ya I get that, I live mostly on my own. So do all these kids go to our school?"

Rose nodded happily, "They'll love you I'm sure."

I didn't feel like mentioning that she barely knew me herself, so I stayed quiet as we grew closer to the boat. A bunch of people that looked our age were already there, the only familiar thing on the boat being all the sound equipment and instruments.

"Wow, this place is sick."

A blush rose to Juleka's face, she rubbed her neck sheepishly.

"Ya, it's where our group tends to hang out"

Rose went first and held out her hand for me to help me down the stairs onto the boat. I thanked her and did the same for Juleka even though she probably doesn't need the help after living here for who knows how long.

"Hey, guys!"

Rose bounced over to the group excitedly, they turned to face us. A girl with blueish black-haired girl with bright blue eyes looked at me questioningly.

"Who's this?"

"I-"

"This is y/n she's the foreign exchange student the principal was talking about!"

Rose cut me off bursting at the seams with seemingly never-ending energy. The other girl's face lit up.

"It's nice to meet you! I'm Marinette, this is Ivan" She motioned to the bulky boy behind her.

"And Luka" She motioned to the other boy on her left who had blue-tipped hair, tan skin, and bright blue eyes.

"It's nice to meet you guys, I'm pretty sure I'll be in your class when school starts. Also, I met your mom today" I giggled.

Marinette looked surprised for a second, "Oh the bakery?"

I nodded. Everyone began to chat in smaller subgroups, I added a comment here and there but most of the conversations were about people or places I didn't know. My eyes scanned across the deck coming to rest on a black and white guitar leaning up against a bunch of boxes. I felt the itching feeling in my chest to pick it up and strum it, the best way to describe it would be nostalgia. Music was and will always be the only constant in my life.

"Do you play?"

I flinched out of my trance. I glanced to my right to see the boy with the blue-tipped hair gazing down at me curiously, he reminded me of Trevor just a little bit. Minus the fact, that Luka had a deeper voice and was a few inches taller. I looked back to the guitar with a sheepish smile.

"Ya a little"

I lied through my teeth. I've probably played every instrument on this ship. Luka walked over to the guitar strummed a few notes and handed it to me, with a challenging little smirk.

"Show me what you got,"

I smirked back wickedly never one to step down from a challenger. I took the guitar in my hands and started a little slow to keep up my amateur act. I glanced up at him one last time before launching into the chorus from 'One More Night', my favorite song from our first album. It was one of the most technically challenging pieces we've done and one of the only guitar solos I performed.