The Skateboard

In the grand scheme of things claiming I could fix my skateboard was wishful thinking, red spray paint is not easy to remove. I sat on my balcony agonizingly trying to chip off the paint with a small scrapper I borrowed from the nice older couple downstairs that owns the bookstore.

Looking at the brighter side of things, the balcony looked amazing after I spent a Sunday morning cleaning it and then buying decorations at the store. The space now sported string lights wrapped around the railing, a few plants in different colored pots, and the center was a fluffy blanket with lots of pillows to sit on.

My finished chemistry homework sat on the coffee table behind me while I focused on the tedious task. Snickers started barking from the room below, I paused, listening to him freak out. I leaned over the hatch into my room to see Snickers looking up at me from the bottom of the ladder barking.

'That's weird, Snickers doesn't bark much.'

I push that thought to the side, standing up and stretching my back against the railing. I nearly went into shock when a flash of black, white, and red went right past my face. I yelped, jumping back. My skateboard tipped over the railing when I let go of it. Out of pure adrenaline, I shot forward over the rail to try and grab it before it fell.

I was far too late to catch it, my adrenaline wore off as I felt myself start to slip forward. I screeched in terror, everything feeling like it was moving too quickly for me to catch up. I shut my eyes as my lower body was about to tip over, someone grabbed my hands and dragged me back. I fell on my butt, shaking from the fear of my near-death experience, I looked up to face my savior but there was no one there.

I raised an eyebrow pushing off the ground and cautiously peeking over the railing to see if the skateboard hit anyone by accident.

I came face to face with abnormally blue eyes, I gasped, stepping back again. A boy wearing a black and white striped suit with red, yellow, and blue dots in the center was hovering in front of me using a cartoonish Jetpack. His wild unkempt red hair was stuffed under a beret, black face paint lined his eyes over his purple skin. He held my skateboard in his hands, my eyes widened as I studied him further.

"Nathaniel?!"

He smiled and landed on the balcony in front of me.

"No y/n my name is now Evillustrator. I'm here to protect you and make Chloe pay for what she did to you."

He divulged into a sickening laugh at the end.

"Here."

He held the skateboard out to me confidently. I hugged my arms over my chest and backed away slightly. His crazy grin broke for a second and his face softened.

"You don't need to be scared y/n...I would never hurt you, you're my best friend."

His tone was sincere, and it almost sounded like he was back to his normal shy self. I took the board back hesitantly from him.
"Nat you're scaring me, please don't hurt Chloe."

He scowled, shaking his head. Taking out a pen, he started drawing on the tablet connected to his arm, the jet pack reappearing on his back.

"I'll be back soon, stay safe."

He blasted off the balcony before I could stop him, and it dawned on me a few seconds later he was headed towards the Hôtel de Ville. I stood there stunned with the board clutched to my chest, shaking as the adrenaline seeped out of my bones.

My first thought was to call Caleb because he always knows what to do when everything goes downhill. My skateboard sat forgotten on the coffee table, as I hunted for my phone under the pillows I was sitting on. I racked my brain for solutions but came up empty of even a small idea.