Gold Guitar

"Y/n can you run these papers down to the music room real quick?"

My head shot up from my paper, we were just a few minutes away from being sent to lunch. Where I would probably be chewed out by my friends for not telling them about my birthday.

I shook the thought to the back of my mind and took a deep breath. I shuffled my papers into my folder and slid them under my desk in my bag. I could feel the side eyes of my friends as I passed them down the row. Finally, I made it to the front and took the paper from Ms. Bustier, zipping out of the room at lightning speed.

The bell rang once I made it to the door of the music room. The only reason I even knew where it was was because of the small tour Marinette and Alya gave me between classes on my first day. We weren't supposed to take music classes until next semester.

I slid the door open with a creak and was met by a dusty room stuffed to the brim with different musical instruments. Instead of desks, there were large rounded tables and all types of chairs ranging from beanbags to rockers scattered around the room, all facing a blackboard. The shades were drawn and sunlight covered the entire classroom in a golden hue.

"Um, is anyone here?"

I looked around clutching the paperwork in my hands, the room was empty, safe for a closet in the back behind the teacher's desk. Resting on a stand next to the desk chair is an acoustic guitar. A gorgeous one at that, with intricate golden details along the base and up the neck.

I set the papers down on the table and kneeled to get a better look, not daring to pick it up. I ran my fingers along the golden carvings.

"Beautiful, isn't she?"

I almost jumped out of my skin when a voice broke the silence right behind me, I whirled around to see where it came from. I was met with an extremely tall man, he was blonde and wore black thick-framed hipster glasses. He held one of his hands up in mock defense, the other curling around a steaming mug that read 'tears of my drama students' in cursive loops.

"Sorry for scaring you, kid! Can I help you?"

I glanced sheepishly at the guitar and back to him.

"Ya- sorry, I was meant to drop these papers off but I got distracted."

"That should be your teacher's vote for the upcoming student play I believe."

This statement piqued my interest, I had always wanted to participate in plays growing up but never had the opportunity to. I traveled too much or stayed at Caleb's house when Poppy was out of town so no one could drive or pick me up from practice.

He set his mug down on his desk and sidestepped around me, reaching down and picking up the instrument. He did a flamboyant little pose with a strum, obviously having played before but not showing off too much.

"She's a beauty, made of mahogany and ebony."

"The ebony brings a tightness and clarity to the sound, while the mahogany brings a warmness."

I blurted out without thinking first. He raised his eyebrows, a surprised grin sliding across his face.

"You play?"

"I-uh ya, I play a bunch of instruments."

His grin widened impossibly further as he held out the guitar for me, I took it cautiously. He dramatically flopped into his spinny chair, kicking his feet up on the desk barely missing his cup of coffee.

"Serenade me, will you?"

I giggled and repositioned my grip on the neck and shifted the strap on my shoulder. Deciding to not do anything too flashy I played the intro and a bit of the chorus to an older Jagged Stone song.