Vases

My friends were quicker to accept Trevor than I expected. Inviting him into the fold and including him in the buzz of conversation. Exciting conversations about the Christmas party I was having in a few days and the plans for the break from school.

Eventually, Trevor bumped our shoulders together, speaking in English.

"I have a car with a driver ready to take us wherever you want. Just say the word."

"How'd you manage that?"

"Mom was willing to rent it for me when she figured out it was for you."

Trevor's mom was a short blonde southern bell woman. He hailed most of his genetics from his father, a tall Latino man, but he was a 'mama's boy' through and through. Often running errands for her, picking up flowers, and taking her to lunch. Which he wouldn't admit to until a year into our friendship.

"I miss your mom, how is she?"

"She misses you, asks about you all the time actually."

His smile was so genuine I couldn't even force myself to look away as he continued.

"Ya want to head out or do you have plans? I can get a hotel room?"

"Absolutely not. You're staying with me, idiot. But I was supposed to sleepover at Jul's-"

"Trevor can sleep over too if he wants."

Juleka shrugged, nonchalantly. Swiftly reminding me that she and her brother spoke English.

"Are you sure? I don't want to make you have us both over."

"Nah this is good, we can get to know each other more. I don't think he will fit on my bike too, though."

Luka shot me a reassuring look. The original plan was for Luka to give me a ride home to grab my overnight bag and check in on Snickers. Juleka was getting dropped off by Rose, even though the blonde couldn't sleepover because her parents wanted to take her out to dinner.

"Are you good with us taking the car to my house to pick up my stuff and then sleeping over with Luka and Jul?"

"I go where you go."

It felt so good to hear those words and know that he meant it. I readjusted my grip on the bouquet he gave me.

"I'll go hail the car back, I think he was looking for a place to park. Meet me outside in five."

I nodded, and he receded into the crowd. I bit down the urge to walk after him, instead turning to the group. Alya spoke first.

"Do all your friends just randomly surprise you?"

"No, but I guess my track record doesn't support that."

I smiled sheepishly. Adrien moved to leave.

"I should go before the Gorilla comes in here and drags me out himself. I'll see you guys later."

A chorus of 'goodbyes' followed him as he made his retreat. I shot a look as he went, his movements were stiff and he looked upset.

'I'll text him later.'

"Guess that's our queue to head out. Will see you guys in a few days!"

Marinette gave me a quick parting hug before she, Alya, and Nino walked off. Now all that remained were the siblings, Rose, and I. Luka turned to me first, almost bashfully.

"I know you have a lot of flowers already, but these are for you."

I took the bouquet of sunflowers from him and drew them close.