Reconcile

"Greetings Actors and Actresses, I am Drama Queen!"

My hands shot up to feel around me, in the chaos of colors. If a tornado blew through a Crayola factory I would probably still have more visibility than my current situation. The smoke hadn't even fully dissipated yet when I felt a hand wrap around my wrist and start to pull me in a random direction. All I could do was duck my head down and hope that the mystery person was leading me somewhere safe.

Screams were starting to erupt behind us, and evil laughter could be faintly heard over it. I could finally make out the dark pigtails in front of me and realized Marinette was my savior, just as we turned the corner around one of the large velvety red curtains. I took one last glance back at the pandemonium behind me. There was a man in an old-fashioned dark blue notch lapel suit, he had silvery hair and a sparkly crown. In his hand was a purple handkerchief that he waved with every declaration.

It took me a solid second to connect the dots that the villain was Mr. Laurent. I locked back into my current predicament when Marinette shoved me into the prop closet.

"I've gotta find Alya, I'll come back when I find her!"

There was no room for debate as she slammed the door on my shocked face. In her defense I shouldn't be super surprised, Marinette has a habit of running away when things go wrong.

'Twice I've been shut in the prop closet today. Twice.'

I took a deep breath and sank to the floor, scooting back so I could rest against a random wooden box facing the door. It was eerily quiet, compared to the havoc that the stage area was. I dug my phone out of my jeans pocket to text the group chat I had with my friends from class. It was just to declare I was safe and it's a habit that I've grown into since moving to Paris.

I was about to hit the send button when a call popped up on my screen. My phone vibrating on its own was able to startle me, but the picture I was met with made me double-take. It was a picture of Trevor and I sitting on a bean bag in Caleb's room. The photo was taken right after Jake had done our stick-and-poke tattoos when we stayed up late celebrating the release of our first album. Trevor had his arm around me with a cheeky grin on his tan face, I was curled into his side. Both of us held out our palms where the fresh marks sat over irritated skin, we both looked so proud of ourselves.

He was calling me. And I was extremely unprepared to have this conversation. But without an excuse to not answer I watched my finger punch the answer call button.

"Hello?"

"Hey."

"Hi."

"You're not gonna make this easy are you?"

My nose curled a bit at his statement.

"Wouldn't have to worry about me making it easier if you didn't mess up in the first place."

"God I missed your voice."

There was something so raw about the way he said it, like someone who had been starved for the last few months. I tuck my knees to my chest, leaving the ball in his court to continue.

"I don't even know where to start- well I do. I'm sorry. For everything."

He sucked in a breath and I could faintly hear footsteps through the line, he was pacing.

"When I told you- well actually when I showed- you know what when I kissed you after the Halloween Bash. I had been thinking about doing it for the last year and a half, I couldn't hold myself back anymore. I needed you to know."

"When you ghosted me after, I figured that it meant you were rejecting me. I didn't know how to cope with it. I thought that throwing myself into flirting with other people would take my mind away from it. From you."