Snow Day

The lights coming from everyone's home across the city of Paris twinkled like thousands of tiny stars glittering in the darkness. A chill had settled in since my birthday had passed and winter was fast approaching. I took the liberty to soak in as much of the view from my balcony as I could before the snow made it impossible to enjoy. The mug of hot chocolate I held between my hands was creating curls of steam into the crisp air, I sipped it and took a deep breath.

"Long time no see Purrincess."

I wordlessly pushed the cup of hot chocolate over to his hands. Chat chuckled and took a sip, leaning with his back turned to the railing. We had taken to having little meetings on Wednesday nights, as long as his job didn't keep him from it of course. It was nice having someone to talk to about the band and everything going on, it made the deep guilt of lying to my friends feel a little better.

"You see the news story about me."

"Na I was too busy watching my own."

Chat was as much of a tease as ever, I stole the mug back and sipped it. Matching his stance against the balcony I held the heat close to my chest.

"You mean yours and Ladybugs?"

"You're right, never the sidekick without the hero."

"Oh shut up you mangy cat, you guys are partners. You're not a sidekick, there's a big difference."

I nudged his shoulder to get my point across. He shrugged, staring off into the space in front of him.

"Sometimes I think she doesn't see it that way."

I frowned and cast him a sheepish glance. I never meddled in his personal life, I know firsthand the importance of staying anonymous in the public eye. Knowing his identity would be a liability.

"Is she treating you unfairly?"

His face twisted into a conflicted grimace, he turned to lean over the railing.

"I guess not, but I feel like she doesn't see me as an equal."

"Maybe she's just scared to rely on someone besides herself."

"I think I've proved myself trustworthy at this point, we've been doing this for two years."

His voice was curled with resentment, I walked over and set the hot chocolate down on the coffee table. I mirrored his stance on the railing once I returned.

"Sometimes it's not about the person, it's about the action. I would know, I'm notorious for doing the same thing."

A dry laugh escaped my lips, and Chat's gaze bore into my peripheral vision.

"Some day you will know each other's identities, I can say that with certainty. But when you keep things from people it's usually because of the burden of knowing and not the person themselves."

The hero nodded in thought, leaning back a bit to take me in.

"When did you become a therapist?"

"Since I decided not to see one."

I deadpanned, Chat choked a bit but burst into laughter.

"So how was your birthday?"

I rolled my eyes.

"Does everyone know about that?"

He chuckled into his clawed hand.

"You forget it's my job to keep watch over the people of Paris."

"I don't see you getting paid, so that means it's volunteer work."

"Let me have this, would you?"

I giggled, twisting the charm on the bracelet Luka got me.