Line-up

Listening to Chloé go on and on about how she was destined for the lead of the play was almost making this whole experience not worth it in my eyes. After school, a large majority of people from every class flooded to the music room door to sign up and wait in line for auditions. The line was long but we were almost to the front, they were letting in people one at a time so it was taking a lot longer than expected.

I ran my fingers through my hair to ease my anxiety, turning to Alya next to me.

"Who are you trying out for?"

She laughed and motioned to Nino who was behind us in line next to Adrien.

"Na Nino and I signed up for the tech crew, it's more our style. I'm here for moral support for Marinette."

I snorted and cast a glance at said girl. She was nothing short of a basket case, even more than usual. She twisted a pigtail around her finger looking to the front of the line to see how far we were. Alya continued.

"Peter Pan was a good choice for a play, there are a lot of characters. But I'm not really an actor, I like being behind the camera."

"I guess that makes sense, I'd love to play one of the minor characters. Maybe a lost boy?"

Marinette tuned into the conversation finally.

"I-I don't think I'm going to try out."

"Absolutely not, if I'm auditioning, so are you!"

I linked arms with her and bumped our hips together.

"Besides we all go in privately so even if you mess up no one will see anyway."

This seemed to ease her worry slightly, and she smiled at me.

"How do you always stay so level-headed?"

"I don't Luka and Nathanial can tell you that for sure."

Her forehead creased into a frown, as a thin line made its way across her mouth.

"You know we're here too if you ever need to talk-"

"Especially to someone other than a guy, they're so thick-headed sometimes."

Alya interjected, casting a sour glance towards the two boys behind us in line and adjusting her thick glasses.

"I appreciate you guys."

I wrapped my arms around either of them bringing them into a side hug. Mr. Laurent called the next person in line to come in. Just as Rose walked out of the music room, meeting with Juleka who was waiting outside the door, and making their way down to us.

"How was it?!"

Rose burst into a wide grin, practically bouncing from excitement.

"I think I did really well, they said I did a great job!"

"What character did you read for?"

"They are letting people choose to either read for Peter or Wendy. I hope I get to play one of the mermaids though!"

"I hope I can play a lost boy. I can see it now, the spotlights on me... everyone watching.... and I'm wearing a beautiful... skunk costume."

This made the girls laugh, and Juleka punched my arm. She wasn't trying out similar to her brother, not that I expected her to though. Similar to Nathanial she was not one to want to be the center of attention in any capacity.

"Well I'm guaranteed the spot of Wendy so there's no point in even trying out for her."

Chloé flipped her hair obnoxiously while rudely butting into an otherwise pleasant conversation. Imagining her as Wendy did bring a smile to my face though, she would be really pretty without all of the obnoxious makeup and comically large sunglasses. She pounced on this moment of daydreaming weakness, Sabrina in tow.