The Bet

I hesitantly stepped into the music room and was met with an empty room. An assortment of different chairs were stacked up along the perimeter of the room to make room for auditions. Mr. Laurent and Mr. Soleil sat behind a white table with papers spread around them; Mr. Laurent bit the tip of his pen and glanced up at me. His face lit up when he saw me in the doorway.

"You came! Perfect, I knew you would!"

Mr. Soleil didn't glance up from his clipboard.

"No, you didn't; you were worried she wouldn't."

"Shush, Shush, Lou."

I stepped forward into the space and stood on the duct tape X on the tiled floor. Mr. Laurent held out a paper with a smile; I took it from his hands and scanned it.

"Here are some excerpts from the script; generally, we are having the girls read Wendy's lines, but if you'd prefer Peter's, we could give you those instead."

"I'm okay with Wendy's. I looked over an extra copy in line."

Mr. Soleil snorted a bit at this.

"Smart kid."

"Let's start with Act 1, scene 1; this is where Wendy is learning to fly. I'll respond as Peter."

I nodded and cleared my throat before beginning.

"But Peter, how do we get to NeverLand?"

"Well, we'll fly, of course."

"Fly?"

This back-and-forth dialogue continued for a few more minutes till Mr. Laurent stopped me. Mr. Soleil still had yet to look up from his clipboard, which I interpreted as a bad sign.

"Okay, y/n, one more thing before you go, if whoever we cast can sing and feels comfortable, we would like to include the scene where Wendy sings to the lost boys. Were you able to read over and listen to the song lyrics at the end of the paper?"

"Ya, but I didn't really practice it; I didn't think I'd need to. I'm sorry."

He gave me a pitying smile, Mr. Soleil casting him a glance.

"Can you try?"

"Ya, of course."

I took a deep breath; singing comes easily to me, so I'm not so much worried about singing well as I am being recognized. But I push past it and convince myself it's in my head, beginning the first verse.

There will come a soldier
Who carries a mighty sword
He will tear your city down, o lei o lai o lord
O lei, o lai, o lei, o lord
He will tear your city down, o lei o lai o lord

The notes curl off my lips like honey, and I truly feel in my element. Mr. Soleil looked up from his clipboard for the first time since I walked in, taking me in for the first time with a spark of curiosity in his eyes. Mr. Laurent clasped his hands tightly, biting his fist while watching me continue.

There will come a poet
Whose weapon is his word
He will slay you with his tongue, o lei o lai o lord
O lei, o lai, o lei, o lord
He will slay you with his tongue, o lei o lai o lord...

I trailed off, forgetting the rest and nervously glancing at my cheat sheet.

"I'm sorry, I don't remember the rest."

Before I could apologize once more, a giddy grin broke across Mr. Laurent's face. He started applauding me, practically bouncing out of his chair.

"No, that was amazing! I knew I had a good feeling about you, kid."

A grin broke across my face at the praise, and I took a breath I didn't know I was holding back.

"Have you ever sung before this, in a production or such?"