Chaton

"We have a surprise for you!"

I paused midway through biting into my sandwich, looking up at Marinette, who sat across from me. It was a half-day of school, so we all paced our lunches to eat in the courtyard once class let out. 'We' being Nino, Adrien, Marinette, and Alya.

I set my sandwich down on the tinfoil it was wrapped in.

"For me? What is it?"

Marinette grinned at me, her eyes flicked to Alya who reached into her bag next to me. I gave a questioning look to Nino, who just shrugged with a knowing grin. Adrien came up behind me and put his hands over my eyes rendering me blind. I flinched slightly in surprise, subconsciously leaning back against his body.

"So you know how most of us got tickets to the Halloween concert coming up, and how you weren't able to get a ticket in time?"

My stomach dropped. When the group had brought up the idea of going to the Halloween Bash I immediately knew I wouldn't be able to go, on the account I was the one performing. Obviously, at the time I didn't tell them this, I simply said I wasn't able to get a ticket in time.

Now as I sit here blind and listening to my friends giggle in excitement, I realize that I should have thought of a better excuse. Uncertainly, I answer.

"Uhh, ya..?"

"Well hold out your hands!"

I put my hands out on the table, palms up. I knew what was happening the moment the cardstock texture brushed my hands. Adrien removed his hands to reveal exactly what I had guessed, a silver and blue ticket. 'Halloween bash' was written in graffiti font across it and a barcode was at the end. My eyes widened, while they continued to giggle at my shock.

'Look excited. Look excited. Say something!'

"I-I can't accept this, these tickets are so expensive! You didn't have t-"

"We split the cost, girl you are worth every penny anyway."

Alya scooted over and pulled me into a tight hug.

"There was no way we would leave you behind!"

Marinette smiled at me and grabbed my hands across the table, the ticket forgotten. Nino nodded.

"Dude, the whole group is going, it won't be the same if you aren't there."

"Please stop, I will burst into tears right now."

I laughed dryly, and the two girls finally released me.

"I'll go but on the condition that I pay for the ticket."

Adrien chuckled and leaned against the lunch table looking down at me fondly.

"That can be discussed later."

By the look in their eye, I knew they wouldn't be accepting my money any time soon.

'This is going to be an interesting Halloween.'

I walked down the stairs of the school an hour later, racking my brain for ways to pull this off.

'We have pit tickets, so I could sneak away to go to the bathroom and have the makeup team ready for me when we get there. But what if someone tries to go to the bathroom with me-.'

"Hey, y/n wait up!"

I turned around mid-scheming to see Adrien speed walking over to me, perfectly quaffed hair bouncing in the wind. I stopped on the third to last step and he braked on the fourth.

"Do you mind if I make my costume at your house, I don't think my dad would want me wearing one. Or even let me go if he knew it wasn't an extracurricular thing."