Chapter Fifteen

When Yue received the call from Zuer, she was so caught off-guard, it took her a full minute before she could respond.

The harrowing week she had took her mind off so many things that she had completely forgotten the lunch date she had with her bestselling book's heroine.

"How are you?", the woman across her at a café in bustling Beijing asked worriedly.

Yue shook her head. She was too distracted. "Sorry Zuer. I just have a lot on my mind right now."

"I noticed", her friend smiled, "Anything you want to talk about?"

She shook her head again.

Yue has not even told Zuer and Feiyu about her decision to write a second book from Zi Wei's POV, how can she talk about how her mind had been running around trying to figure a way out of the devil's – er Wang He Di's - clutches?

"Well... if it isn't something you can talk about now, remember that I am always here for you, Yue. Ok?"

Zuer was so much like an angel, how did she even end up falling for a guy like Wang He Di, in the first place?

"Well, how about you? How are you" she focused on her friend instead. She is going to stop thinking about things that would only bleed her brain dry (especially the Wangs) and the mess she found herself in.

"Feiyu and I aren't talking", Zuer answered.

That was new. "Oh! O... KAY... Why? What happened?"

"It's nothing big really. It's just that I have been so used to always getting my way that when I don't, I get angry."

In all the time she knew them, the couple never struck her as two people who would have things to fight about. They were just so well-matched.

Yet... there really must be a first time for everything. "Well... what is this "thing" that you wanted anyway?"

Zuer sighed. "I just feel like he's been working too hard lately that he doesn't have time for us anymore. He just got promoted and I don't want to be a hindrance, I mean... I am used to men and their ambitions but I do miss him Yue... Even the five minutes we used to have just talking before sleeping? We don't have that anymore. He's just always too tired."

Yue didn't really know what to say. "Have you talked to him about it?"

Her friend laughed. "That's the thing! I cannot even talk to him properly and I don't know if I have to arrange a schedule with his assistant for us to be able to sit down long enough to talk."

"How long has this been ongoing?"

"For a month."

"Well... you have to tell him about it Zuer. I doubt he would be happy when he realizes that this is going on and you guys have not talked about it yet."

Another deep sigh. "Maybe? Well... I mean I cannot help but compare him with DiDi."

"WAIT! STOP THAT! YOUR EX IS A FOUL DEVIL INCARNATE! FEIYU IS AN ANGEL COMPARED TO HIM!"

Zuer's eyes widened at her.

She let out that last sentence stronger than she intended.

"You seem pretty angry."

Yue took it a notch down and tried to bring back the focus to Zuer and her problem with Feiyu. "Just don't go comparing Feiyu with your ex. You and I both know that won't go anywhere good."

Zuer threw her hands up. "I know. I know. I always stop myself from having these thoughts but sometimes, they are constantly there because I keep getting reminded how DiDi always just found time for me when we were still together. And I know you don't know him Yue and what you pretty much know of him is what we told you during the part that Feiyu and I were getting closer but the reason why I really fought what I felt for Feiyu back then was because DiDI went through leaps and bounds for me so much. He loved me and even though he was the newly installed head of their company, I never felt his absence from our relationship."

"But he is in the past now."

"He is. And you have nothing to worry from me! I don't have thoughts of going back to DiDi. I am just trying to explain to you why I cannot help but compare him and Feiyu and maybe... to just give you perspective on why I feel what I feel. Anyway, I think I'm just going crazy from missing my husband too much."

It was Yue's turn to breathe deep.

Zuer's train of thought had her feeling upset. Especially because she cannot picture her friend's ex without imagining him being killed by a firing squad or being roasted in fire.

"I get what you're trying to say and as a friend on neutral ground, I would like to repeat to you what you yourself said. The first thing you need to stop doing is comparing Feiyu with your ex, who is the devil incarnate. The second thing you need to do is force Feiyu to talk about this. That man loves you and your baby boy more than anything in the world and I am sure that right now, he misses you too. Your husband isn't a seer, Zuer. He won't know what you feel unless you talk to him about it."

"You are right, of course. I just feel like this is the first time this has happened to us and I am like a fish out of water. I don't know what to do. Feiyu's never allowed work, or anything for that matter, to come between the two of us."

Yue signaled for the waiter to bring them their desserts.

"Well, there's a first time for everything. And knowing you two, I am sure you guys will work this out if you just talk."

Zuer nodded. "Of course! It was irrational of me to be annoyed that he seems to be missing out on this but you are right Yue. I need to tell him. We both need to talk about it."

"That's more like it!" They have been friends for quite some time now and she had no doubt about the love they felt for each other. She saw that the very first day she met them. "Also, Zuer, remember that Feiyu is doing this much work because it's for your future. I am sure he just wants security for the both of you and your son."

"I know... and I am sure you know too. He hated what he felt during the time that he was kicked out of employment and he could not go anywhere. I am sure he doesn't not want to feel like that again, but I hope it is not at the expense of losing me and his boy. I cannot help but think that even up to now, he still feels competitive against DiDi."

"Then why do you even bring your ex up?", she responded accusingly.

"You really won't forgive me for that?", the other woman gave a small smile, "That's a different issue... I mean, I only compared him to DiDi in terms of time management but if I was after a person's money, doesn't it tell people how wrong that is when I chose Feiyu in the end? And I want to tell my husband THAT! That it doesn't matter to me who has more money or not. So... he shouldn't let his insecurities about money eat him up. I don't want to see him almost killing himself over work."

"You really should tell him Zuer. You both need to have an open line of communication. Honestly, I think you are also at fault because you let this fester for a month."

Their desserts came and they started to dig in the banana splits.

"I am wrong in that. I thought he'd be able to at least catch it but then again, marriage is work. So I guess I have to work on mine now."

"ATTA GIRL!"

They both laughed. "Yue, when you get married, find someone you can really talk to ok? No matter how ugly or how painful the conversation could become. You and your husband must be able to put aside your pride or ego and just talk. Do not be like me."

She nodded. "Oh hush! You just needed time but you will already talk to him. And don't worry about my futured husband and I because I won't get married at all to anyone with so much pride and ego."

Wang He Di's image entered her head. That man is the perfect example of someone no woman should ever marry.

Ego as big as a mountain and pride as high as the heavens.

NO WAY. NO WAY. NO WAY.