Chapter Seventy-Three

Shen Yue survived.

The doctors declared how miraculous it was that she had escaped with just as much injury as she did.

Still, they were injuries.

She had lost so much blood she went into shock during the operation. Both her legs were broken. She had broken her ribs on both sides as well. Thankfully, none of her internal organs sustained heavy damages.

The doctors, however, are yet to give a full assessment on the situation of her brain. She had a blood clot on the left hemisphere and although they were successful in removing it, they advised the family that it could cause problems in speaking, understanding, reading, writing, and remembering.

Still, the extent of the damage can only be assessed after she wakes up.

If she doesn't wake up within the next forty-eight hours, they might have to fear the worst.

Wang He Di hasn't been able to sleep at all since learning the news and when he landed back in Beijing and saw his best friend waiting for him in the tarmac, he embraced Li Xi Zi as tightly as he could and thanked him for being there.

"Let's go. Your girlfriend is waiting for you", the other man told him.

It re-ignited in him the fervent desire to get to her as fast as he could.

They raced towards the hospital like the devil himself was fast on their heel.

Still, Xi Zi took every care to make sure they both make it to the hospital intact.

DiDi ran all the way to the ICU and despite the restrictions, he was allowed to see her because his Mother, Wang Yu Yan, wouldn't take no for an answer.

The Medical Director himself gave the permission for him to see his girlfriend.

After hugging everyone very quickly, he controlled himself from running to her side out of respect for all the other patients under intensive care.

He could feel his heart race and his palms sweat as he heard the beeps of several different machines inside the closed quarter.

He prayed his strength would not fail him when he sees her but as she came in to his view, covered by a slim plastic curtain, he felt himself almost break in half.

Yue looked so small and fragile you wouldn't believe two tons of metal dragged her car on the road.

Her face looked swollen from bruises, her eyes all puffy, and bandages covered her body.

"It should have just been me instead", he whispered and looked above him, tears starting to fall from his eyes, "I could take all of these damages and even worse. I might even deserve them but Father, she doesn't. You know that. You know she doesn't"

He looked back at her.

DiDi wanted to embrace her.

He wanted to kiss her.

But... he slowly and carefully approached her because he knows he needs to care for her like the treasure she really is.

He took all of her in and burned this image of her into his mind.

He won't ever let this happen to her again – not his Shen Yue.

He stooped down her bed and tenderly reached for her hand, kissing it as softly as he could for more than a minute – just feeling her and making sure that it is indeed her and no one else.