Chapter Twenty-Three

The prettier she became under Vikas' ministrations, the angrier she got.

Today's make-over was completely different from last time because that was directed towards getting one up against the conceited Wang Corporation Heir while this was solely for his own benefit.

Yue knows that no one else will be more beautiful than her best friend later but she did not appreciate that with DiDi's actions, she could take away Dong Xin's thunder.

She didn't want anyone fussing over her later.

They're supposed to fuss about Zhi Ting and Xin.

"Ms. Shen... no matter how good I am, I won't be able to turn you into goddess" Vikas complained loudly.

That snapped her out of her thoughts and she looked at the mirror. "What are you saying Vikas! I don't even recognize myself anymore! You are amazing!"

"Then why are you not happy?"

Yue had a very expressive face, Vikas would surely have seen how angry she was becoming.

She straightened the crease from her forehead and decided to lie. "Uhmmmm... maybe it's because I really just don't want to go to this dinner."

The beauty maven nodded in understanding as he continued to blow dry her hair. "But you have been invited and you said yes, didn't you?"

She nodded.

"Well... you need to go. You cannot give your ex the satisfaction of thinking that you cannot handle his engagement to another woman."

That made her smile.

Zhi Ting wasn't her ex and he would not care in the world at all if she didn't come later unless Xin worried about her absence, she told herself.

"He might be happier if I didn't come."

"I feel like he must be looking forward to it because he is excited to show you how happy he is. But when he sees you later, he will be angry at himself for letting you go."

If that was anywhere near the truth, Yue was sure it would have felt amazing.

But she loved Dong Xin and Gao Zhi Ting.

And despite her heart's treachery, she could only wish the both of them well.

Also, she could only fool Vikas into thinking that his words brought her comfort.

The man knows nothing.

He is but a pawn in this game Wang He Di is playing at with her.

The Wang Corporation Heir seems to be preparing for tonight.

And because he had "kidnapped" her without even letting her eat breakfast or take a bath, it was Vikas who had provided her with everything.

He had her take lunch first when she admitted to not having eaten anything at all – apparently a service the center also offers because she took her food in a posh dining hall and food was served by an in-house chef.

She was directed towards the bath house where assistants scrubbed every part of her body clean.

That's the first time another person had bathed her since she was five.

The beauty center had facilities not only to bathe their clients but to also provide them massages, facials, scrubs, waxes, hair treatments, nail care, and everything you could think of in pampering women.

Yue was not at all surprised to see a number of the women she met when DiDi took her to the Entrepreneur's Gala around and about the center.

She didn't have a watch with her, a phone, nor even her wallet but there was a clock in Vikas' salon and she saw that she and DiDi only had two hours to get themselves to the engagement dinner in Dongzhimen.