Chapter Forty-Four

She didn't know how a dinner with her parents turned out to be a set-up for a love match gone weird but like some things in the world, one has to have room in one's life for "pleasant" surprises – she'd stretch that far out to call tonight's dinner that despite how it began.

Han Xiao Wen looked at Wang He Di and Li Xi Zi, eating dinner, one right across her and the other one sitting to her left, and thought about how this plot by her parents escaped her notice.

Had she been so consumed with work that this slipped pass her?

So far, she has been successful in dodging their efforts to set her up like this.

Though, technically, she has escaped this one too.

The Han's middle child is sure that once she tells her mother about how tonight's event turned out, the older woman will continue to be in tenterhooks over her daughter's supposedly unfortunate singlehood.

Xiao Wen smiled, thinking how her mother would be in for the same kind of shock that she experienced a while ago when she answered her call the moment their family car arrived at the restaurant, informing her that her parents won't be able to make it.

They told her that they are actually meeting the Wang for this dinner and she should continue because their guests are already inside the restaurant.

She did her best to calm herself down as it would do no good to scream.

However, she did feel that she wanted the earth to swallow her whole because other than the embarrassment of knowing that her parents have finally succeeded in their plans to set her up, the realization that she was being set-up with Wang He Di, who was not a stranger but almost like a friend, mortified her.

She wanted to run out of the restaurant then and there but her good breeding (which could be a bane to one's existence in situations like this) won't allow her.

She even considered that her mother could be lying to her about the Wangs having already arrived at the restaurant, but she still had to make sure.

She wished the Maître D' would tell her that none of them have arrived yet so she could escape and create her own version of an excuse but as soon as she walked inside, she saw Wang He Di indeed present, although it wasn't his parents who sat with him.

Laughing like a pair of devils hatching plans for world domination, seated with DiDi is her boss, THE Li Xi Zi, who left the office earlier than she did because of a supposed meeting.

The need to pry as to how Li Xi Zi ended up there along with her supposed love match coming over her, Xiao Wen approached their table.

She confirmed that they were indeed waiting for her and had just wrapped up a discussion.

"You're actually early. I thought the rush hour might make you more late", DiDi told her as Xi Zi helped her to her seat.

"Uhmmmm... thank you", she told Xi Zi and then faced the other man, "I just have to know because I expected this dinner to be.... well... something else but – I mean – did I misunderstand anything?"

Both gentlemen laughed.

"No. You understood everything perfectly, Xiao Wen", DiDi responded, "But we're both rescuing you from THAT."

"Huh?!?"

"Actually... Xi Zi is rescuing the both of us from this dinner being awkward."

Her curiosity abating, the feeling of embarrassment caught up with her. She covered her face to compose herself before speaking up again "So... you knew why they scheduled this dinner?"