Chapter Forty-Six

Her insistence to deny her attraction to him is cute.

And for the nth time, Wang He Di wondered why this is an action he is willing to tolerate from her but not from any of the other girls he went out with before.

He is no saint and he isn't going to pretend that he wasn't an asshole to a number of women but as he looked at Yue, busy producing plates for them and boiling water for coffee, he could not imagine himself doing to her what he used to do to others.

If a girl so much as wavered and thought to herself that she would like DiDi to chase her, he stopped seeing that girl.

Boom!

Out!

Sometimes not even a goodbye.

It was too much work.

Too much effort.

And he won't make excuses for himself about that. DiDi knows it was "douche extraordinaire" behavior.

And most probably, even though some of the girls he met were just after his reputation and money, there could be someone in that lot that who might have genuinely hurt – someone who had hoped to be the answer to his loneliness and rage but ended up being discarded like trash.

"You only get one slice", Yue cut into his thoughts.

She smiled smugly at him as she laid out the slice she talked about, which was a little less than a half-inch.

He shook his head at the childish action of hogging all that cake.

"It's ok. I bought three anyway. Thank you for giving me a slice of yours."

The woman's eyes shrunk to slits and DiDi laughed, immediately taking a bit out of the slice of cake he was given and protecting the plate as well.

"You are so childish!", she accused.

"I'm childish???", he challenged, smiling just as smugly as she did awhile ago.

Yue pouted. "You are not getting any coffee!"

He made a tsk tsk sound. "Really beautiful but has an attitude."

"EXCUSE ME!!!"

DiDi followed it up with a shaking of his head. "Seemed really nice at first, though."

"YOU ARE REALLY THE ONE SAYING THAT ABOUT ME!"

"It takes one devil to know another."

Yue rolled her eyes and was about to respond when they heard the pot boil. She immediately headed for the stove to get their coffee ready.

DiDi knows he really shouldn't be drinking coffee this late but hell, there are quite a lot of things he shouldn't be doing but he's already done.

He shouldn't be spending so much time thinking of her, sometimes distracting him from work.

He shouldn't be missing valuable hours of sleep.

He shouldn't even be happy about the fact that his last name sounds too good after her first name.

But he's gone way past a lot of "shouldn'ts" and "couldn'ts" by this time.

What if he lost more hours of sleep because of her?

"Why are you smiling?", she asked him suspiciously.

DiDi wanted to tell her she was the reason for that smile but controlled himself.

He has to reign in his tendencies of being a sap. He is not a man built on her and his feelings on her alone.

"I just remembered Xi Zi", he answered instead.