Chapter Forty-Five

As she looked out her window and on to the street fronting the house, finished with packing up for their departure tomorrow for the wedding venue (where Zhi Ting and Xin will be holding their wedding), Yue knew she was acting just like a fifteen-year old with a very bad crush on a guy.

Who would wait for someone to possibly stop by, even though it is already so late at night, just because you expect them to fulfill their promise of bringing you "dessert" but a teenager?

At her age now and knowing who this guy is, there are so many reasons why waiting for him is futile.

One, he owns one of the biggest companies in the country. There could be a thousand reasons for him to stay late in the office.

Two, it would be quite an effort on his part to do it. Zhi Ting and Xin's house is actually out of the way for him.

Third, they're just friends.

Why would she demand a friend to give that much effort over "her" craving?

Yue could hear a voice inside her head telling her she is a liar for calling them "just friends" but that is currently what they really are – a few kisses (OK maybe not a few but still) does not constitute a need to change their "status".

Fourth, DiDi's message had only been "I'll bring you your favorite dessert."

He did not say when, where, or how. Most assuredly it wouldn't mean tonight right? Even if he texted that today? It could be tomorrow... or next week... or next year even.

She sighed at how much mental energy she was expanding over a single text message and how much emotion was coming right at her like bullets from all of her thinking.

Was it really just a day ago when they kissed and he admitted to liking her?

And aren't her feelings progressing way too fast from wanting to butcher him with a knife out of anger and frustration and wanting to butcher herself instead out of an insatiable need to see him?

She closed her eyes and immediately regretted it when she felt her skin rising in bumps over remembering those kisses.

"I'm too old for this!", she opened her eyes, scolding her reflection in the window.

Yet, there it continues to be – that feeling in her stomach, that lightness in her toes, that tingling in her hands, that galloping her heart was doing.

She is sure her mind knows her age (there can be no running from that) but the rest of her body doesn't seem to care – her organs all going to act like they are in their teens.

And over a guy too they were raging against for quite some time.

She could not remember clearly how her anger had disappeared.

But she would admit that even before they met, she had always had an understanding of Wang He Di that propelled her to take a kind of pity on him when she was writing that first book.

She did not like him then, true.

BUT she had an understanding of the kind of pain one can feel that will cause one to lash out and hurt the people that one loved.

Hence, even at the height of her anger, she understood him. It didn't make her like him, initially, but even back then, she could relate to him.

Could it be possible that it is THAT shared pain and understanding that brought them together?