Chapter Seventy-Two

The day Chen Feiyu first met Wang Zi Wei, he had absolutely no idea how big a deal she was.

It was at a charity event for Habitat for Humanity and he was assigned to her team.

She wore a shirt, pants, sensible shoes, and had her hair in a ponytail. You wouldn't have thought she was an heiress.

She did her load of work, laughed along with everyone, didn't complain, and sat and ate with all of them. He just casually asked her out for coffee afterwards.

They exchanged numbers.

She used her mother's maiden name and when he tried to look for her on Facebook, he worried a little when he couldn't find her.

But she showed up on their first official date and Feiyu would find himself taking her out more and more, bringing her to restaurants that she seems to have never gone to before.

She couldn't relate to him on a lot of things, but he found pleasure in explaining all of it to her and didn't really question why that was.

He would eventually discover that she was the first "regular" guy she dated and she had made every effort to conceal her true identity from him.

Once, in all the confusion, he wished he didn't learn about who she really is or that she truly is just a regular person... just like him.

Who knows?

Maybe what happened years ago would have happened if she wasn't an heiress.

For the longest time, Feiyu fought his attraction for Zuer because he really did love Zi Wei.

Being with her opened up new things for him because she often thought differently than him.

Zi Wei didn't – and still doesn't – recognize obstacles.

She just called them hurdles.

She also made him appreciate a lot of the things he had taken for granted because her genuine curiosity and happiness about the most commonplace drew him in.

He knows how easy it must be for others to judge him and tell him he never really loved someone he replaced so easily.

It is true he did replace Zi Wei BUT... it wasn't easy.

It wasn't easy despite the fact that they were on different ends of the spectrum. It wasn't easy even though he was the Robin Hood to her Lady Marianne. It wasn't easy though he was the earth and she was the sky.

It wasn't easy to replace her though they were so far.

It wasn't easy to replace her even though they were so different.

It wasn't easy to replace her even though loving her was so inconvenient.

It wasn't easy because he never even thought of those.

He just loved her then.

And when you love someone, you forget all else.

However, life has a funny way of reminding you everything you've forgotten. Zi Wei's illness brought him crashing back down to earth.

It frustrated him to no end that when she was on the verge of losing her life, he could not go to her because he is too "limited".

To feel that she could go where he couldn't follow her, to feel that he could not be there for her when she needed a hand to hold, to feel so helpless and so useless... it broke him down and made him despair.