7: Looking for An Xiaoning

In haste, An Xiaoning wolfed down her meal, pretending not to understand what she just heard.

After breakfast, An Xiaoning and Jin Qingyan went ahead to the tailor for their wedding dress and suit. Not wanting to waste any time, they then proceeded to take their wedding photos as well.

They picked out a wedding dress, got her makeup done, and took a couple of outdoor shots at the beach, followed by a few other ones at the studio. By the end of it all, An Xiaoning began to feel like her legs were jelly - they were almost giving out on her.

"Put on your best dress tonight," instructed Jin Qingyan while they made their way home.

"Why?" An Xiaoning asked.

"I'm taking you to a ball," he explained.

She agreed without hesitation, thinking that it would not matter much since she could get a good rest before evening arrived.

Jin Qingyan then drove away after dropping her off at the doorstep.

She punched in the passcode and unlocked the digital lock on the door. Dog-tired, she quickly made her way to her bedroom upstairs and sprawled onto the bed, not wanting to move another inch.

"Boss, someone is calling you!" went her mobile ringtone. Looking at the caller display which showed a local unknown number, she picked up the call. "Hello?"

"Hey, cousin. It's me."

Instead of hanging up when she heard Wang Fangfang's voice, An Xiaoning asked, "What's the matter?"

"Cousin, I know I shouldn't have done that. I'm sorry. Will you forgive me?" Wang Fangfang apologized.

"Though I'm unsure of how you'd even have the cheek to ask for my forgiveness, I'm afraid I can't. I'm not a saint nor God. I can't be that magnanimous and forgiving," An Xiaoning replied sarcastically.

"An Xiaoning! I apologized to you sincerely from the bottom of my heart, yet you're still so unforgiving and obstinate. Who do you think you are? Marrying a rich husband does not make you high and mighty!" Wang Fangfang snapped scornfully.

"Look at you getting all worked up. Don't embarrass yourself again by calling me. Watch out, don't hurt yourself getting too upset. Otherwise, Shi Shaochuan might just go ahead and have another affair again," mocked An Xiaoning. She ended the call right after, not giving Wang Fangfang a chance to retaliate.

Feeling much less exhausted, An Xiaoning laid down in bed again and sandwiched a pillow between her legs. After a big stretch, she set an alarm on her phone and dozed off in no time.

The alarm went off at 5 PM sharp, waking An Xiaoning up.

By now, she was already famished, and her stomach let out a low grumble. She quickly took a bath, dried her hair, and did her makeup - all in one go.

Jin Qingyan arrived to pick her up just as she went downstairs.

Clad in a pink qipao[qipao: traditional Chinese body-hugging dress for women] and a pastel-colored shawl draped over her shoulders, An Xiaoning looked more flawless than ever - what with her face boasting immaculate makeup and her long, curly locks cascading down her back.

"What ball is it? What are the people there going to be like?" asked An Xiaoning, trying to distract herself from her hunger.

"You'll know when we get there," answered Jin Qingyan.

"That's as good as not replying," scorned An Xiaoning.

All eyes were on An Xiaoning and Jin Qingyan as the couple entered the venue with their arms locked. They could already guess who the ravishing beauty was by their body language.