40: Just You

It was noontime when An Xiaoning received a call from Auntie Chen, who had called to inform her that it was Jin Qingyan’s birthday. He did not plan on holding a big celebration, however. Instead, he just wanted her to go home for dinner.

Just as she was about to reject it, Auntie Chen spoke again to say that he had invited a few friends over and that they were all waiting for her to come home.

Thus, An Xiaoning agreed. Thinking that the guests present were all his friends, none of which were hers, she decided to bring Mei Yangyang along. Besides, Mei Yangyang had not eaten either.

The backyard was filled with four or five luxury cars.

“Sis, your house is huge!” exclaimed Mei Yangyang when she alighted.

“Hurry, come on in,” said An Xiaoning as she held Mei Yangyang by her hand.

“Alright.”

Amongst the few people in the living room sat a good friend of Jin Qingyan’s apart from Long Tianze. His name was Ling Ciye and he was a gang member, apparently. An Xiaoning could tell right away that he was not a simple man, just from his body language. Jin Qingyue, who was also present, acted as if An Xiaoning did not exist at all. She kept her eyes glued onto the video game on her mobile phone. Jin Qingyan had had his eyes fixed on An Xiaoning since the very moment she entered. However, she pretended not to notice and, instead, took a seat together with Mei Yangyang.

“We’re ready for the dishes to be served.”

“Alright,” said Auntie Chen as she hurried to the kitchen.

Everyone rose from their seats, one after another. Taking a look at the words on the huge cake on the table, which read “Happy Birthday to my Dearest Husband!” An Xiaoning grimaced — he actually tried to pass off as her and ordered a cake for himself!

“After today, you’ll be 26. Close your eyes and make a wish before you blow out the candles,” said An Xiaoning as she lit up 26 candles.

Jin Qingyan proceeded accordingly and blew out the candles in one breath after opening his eyes. The rest of the guests crooned to the birthday song and applauded along.

“Quick, tell us, what did you wish for?” asked Long Tianze.

“It won’t come true if I say it out loud,” Jin Qingyan said.

“Who said so? Why don’t I guess what you wished for? I know what you’re thinking, I’ll guess it with just one try.”

“You can try to guess all you want,” said Jin Qingyan conceitedly.

“Forget it, since it’s your birthday, you call the shots. I won’t be a spoilsport. During my birthdays when I was younger, I used to wish for a chance to earn lots of money when I grow up, because back then, my mother was always stingy with my allowance. I even wished for my father to get a new wife. And because of that wish, I almost got beaten to death by my mother.”

“Hahahaha,” everyone burst into laughter upon hearing Long Tianze’s anecdote.

Ling Ciye could not help but joke, “Tianze, your mother should’ve broken your legs. If she did, you would be a cripple now.”

“How sharp-tongued you are! My mother still loves me, alright?” retorted Long Tianze.

“Now I know. When he was younger, Tianze didn’t receive a beating for that incident, and thus, he got braver with each beating. Mrs. Long did love him very much, otherwise, she wouldn’t have hit him all the time,” said Mo Li.

Mei Yangyang did not bring a gift with her because she was not aware previously that it was Jin Qingyan’s birthday. At that instant, she said with a glib tongue, “Happy Birthday, Brother-in-law. May you and Sis welcome a child into your lives soon and remain happily in love for the rest of your years.”