26: In Your Dreams

“It’s Sis Weiwei looking for you. Are you going or not?” asked the assistant. Her voice had become stern, as if to imply that An Xiaoning would be looking for trouble if she does not do as she was told, especially since it was the female lead who asked to see her.

“Go ahead. It’s the female lead calling,” urged the extra who was next to her.

She had no choice but to get up and alight from the coach together with Sun Weiwei’s assistant.

“What is it that you have to drag me here to talk about?” asked a dissatisfied An Xiaoning when she could no longer see much of the coach.

“Did you see something when you were in our nanny van?”

“Saw something?” asked An Xiaoning, feigning ignorance. “I don’t understand what you are saying.”

“You look pretty smart. But let me warn you, do not spout any nonsense about what you saw today to anyone. You can eat anything you want, but you can’t do the same for the things you say. Sis Weiwei is not going to let you off if she finds out.”

“Why can’t you say anything you want, but you can eat anything you’d like? If the food is poisoned, then wouldn’t it be harmful to eat it?” corrected An Xiaoning.

“…” The assistant snapped, “Have you got any brains? That’s not my point at all.”

“Maybe? I’ve always felt like I was different ever since I was young. Maybe I really don’t have any brains.”

Knowing that it was a prompt from Sun Weiwei when her phone vibrated, the assistant quickly said, “I shall tell you the truth. Sis Weiwei’s God-brother is the famed Ye Xiaotian. You should know about the Ye family right? Know your limits and behave yourself. You’d better be mindful of what you say.”

She walked towards the nanny van after saying her piece.

An Xiaoning followed closely behind. To her shock and dismay, she discovered that the coach had left without her. Sun Weiwei’s nanny van was the only vehicle left in sight, but she knew they would not offer to ferry her.

An Xiaoning had realized by now that the reason the assistant had asked her to talk at such a faraway place was so she could abandon her at the dilapidated place.

“Bye… You may slowly walk back by yourself!” the assistant gloated happily as she waved at An Xiaoning near the window.

“Damn it! To hell with you!” cursed An Xiaoning, finally letting off some of the steam and anger she had been suppressing.

An Xiaoning was filled with rage as she watched the nanny van slowly disappear out of sight. She whipped out her phone, wanting to call her husband, only to realize that her phone was out of battery.

She could not have been any unluckier.

She stood rooted to the ground like a homeless spirit. Noticing that the sky was turning dark, she picked up her speed and hurriedly walked down the mountain.

Since the journey by car would already take 20 minutes, An Xiaoning realized that she would have to continue walking for an extended period of time.

Yet, she did not have a better choice.

Storms gather without warning, and bad luck befalls men overnight. To her dismay, it began to pour heavily.

An Xiaoning finally understood what it means to make a rod for her own back — insisting on making a bet with Jin Qingyan, she had landed herself in such a horrid place and situation instead of simply enjoying her life as a rich man’s wife.