31: Wow, How Amazing

Finally, he came back again.

Only when he was around did she dare to open the door. Her stepfather glared at her until she had goosebumps, yet she managed to pluck up her courage to ask, “What are you doing here?”

“I was passing by, so I decided to come and see you. Oh, Rui’er, come home and see us more often, don’t always stay outside.”

“I know. If there’s nothing else, go home — I’m going out.”

“Okay then, you guys go out. I’ll wait for you here, I have some private matters to talk to you about.”

“Do what you want.” Chi Rui’er went to Jin Qingyan’s car and said immediately, “Qingyan, can I stay at your house? My stepfather is a monster, I’m scared of him — he keeps harassing me.”

She wanted to be honest with him so that he would cherish and protect her more.

“Why didn’t you say earlier?” Jin Qingyan drove out of that place immediately. “Can you stay at my other house?”

“Can I stay in the same house with you?” Her eyes were pleading. “Will it make things difficult for you?”

Jin Qingyan said honestly, “I’m living in the same house as her. If you move in, she’ll get upset.”

“Sorry.”

“Live in my other house. There are people guarding it. Don’t feel burdened, tell them if you need anything.” His car drove directly to his other villa.

“Okay. Will you come often?”

“Yes, that’s my private headquarters.”

“Mei Yangyang, are you dead? Why do you take forever just to get some clothes!” The wardrobe attendant was evidently bad-tempered. It was not the first time An Xiaoning had heard such words.

She frowned and saw that Mei Yangyang was not bothered. She cheerfully replied, “Coming, coming!”

The wardrobe attendant took the clothes. Mei Yangyang turned around and waved at An Xiaoning, “Sister, let’s go home.”

The two left the set side by side. They had a busy day, and their legs were aching badly. They bought two corns from a street stall and had one each. An Xiaoning tried to pass the money to her, but Mei Yangyang refused to accept it. The two finally reached a compromise when An Xiaoning promised to give her a treat next time.

Both of them took the same route, so they sat together on their bus ride back home. They were not chatting for long before Mei Yangyang reached her stop. An Xiaoning continued her bus ride alone.

By the time she reached home, she collapsed onto the sofa like a pool of mud.

“Auntie Chen, help me heat up a glass of milk.”

“Sure, Young Mistress, please wait a moment.”

She closed her eyes and rubbed her temples. Maomao had already run over, seemingly excited about her return.

“Dog-son, have you eaten?”

Maomao stuck out its tongue and cheerfully wagged its tail. Looking at its round watery eyes, An Xiaoning felt happily at ease.

“Boss, that fellow is calling again!”

Seeing that it was a call from Mei Yangyang, she hurriedly answered it. “Yangyang.”

“Sister, my younger sister’s form teacher called to inform me she’d skipped classes these few days again. I’m thinking she might have gone to the bar or club with those friends of hers again, but the previous time I went to a bar, I almost couldn’t come out. So can I ask if you’d go there with me to find her?”