44: How Capable of You

Thinking that it was a good idea, Mrs. Jin said, “Yes, we have to be secretive when observing someone. If it’s really your personality he’s in love with, then we would be fine with you dating him.”

Noticing that her parents did not seem to disapprove of her relationship, she nodded and said, “I think he’s pretty good-looking, and he’s rather generous with me as well. He seems to come from a wealthy background — he often brings me to dine at classy, exquisite restaurants, and he gives me expensive gifts.”

As soon as she finished her words, her mobile phone rang. .

Looking down at the caller display, she realized it was a call from Shi Shaochuan. “Speak of the devil. Mother and Father, I’ll get going,” she said, grimacing at her parents.

“Go ahead. Come home earlier,” instructed Mrs. Jin.

“Got it.” Jin Qingyue waited until she had left the house before answering the call. In a sweet, gentle voice resembling that of a young girl in love, she cooed, “Hello, Shaochuan.”

“Where are you? I’ll come to pick you up,” Shi Shaochuan said over the phone.

“You don’t have to. Where are you? I’ll go look for you.”

“I’m waiting for you at our usual haunt.”

“Alright.” Jin Qingyue hung up the phone, filled with excitement. Instead of driving, she hopped onto a cab and made her way to a five-star hotel.

Clad in a face mask and cap, Jin Qingyue entered the elevator and arrived at the 12th floor. She then headed to room 1232 and pressed the doorbell. Shortly after, Shi Shaochuan opened the door and carried her into the room before closing the door shut with his foot.

The overly-excited pair began smooching each other, from the door all the way to the bed, as they began to breathe harder and quicker.

At last, they stared deeply into each other’s eyes while Jin Qingyue began to speak in between breaths, “I told my parents that I have a boyfriend now.”

“What did they say about that?”

“What else could they have said? They just asked me some basic questions, nothing out of the ordinary. Shaochuan, what does your family do?”

“They run a business. I’m the only child, with no siblings at all,” he answered as he rubbed the tip of her nose affectionately.

“I have a brother, but he’s already married,” said Jin Qingyue.

“Then, do you think I’m husband material?”

“Well…” Jin Qingyue said with a smile as she looked down, “We haven’t known each other for too long, yet. But I’ll know if you’re husband material once I get to understand you deeper.”

“Don’t we already understand each other deeply enough? I guess we’ll have to explore each other, tonight,” he said as he began touching her inappropriately.

“You’re naughty…”

“Isn’t that what you like about me?”

“…”

An hour had passed, and the pair snuggled up against the bedhead. “Do you believe in fortune-telling?” asked Jin Qingyue.

“Not at all, those things are sheer nonsense. They’re all just a bunch of swindlers,” Shi Shaochuan answered in disdain.

Recalling what his ex-wife had told him, about his grandfather asking for his fortune to be told — which revealed that he would never have a successful marriage, no matter how many times he tried, and that An Xiaoning would be the only one who would’ve stayed with him until death did them part — he could not help but find it ridiculous.