Thank You, Ms. An

Bai Ranran turned pale as a sheet upon hearing the news and shook her head profusely. “I don’t know how I got infected. Doctor, is there no way to keep my condition under control?” she asked worriedly.

With a nod, the doctor answered, “The current medical technology we have is not yet advanced enough to treat such viruses. The first symptoms of such viruses usually begin from the abdominal area, and the discomfort will continue to spread upwards. Once one gets infected, the only solution is…”

“Thank you,” said Bai Ranran as she turned around to leave dejectedly before the doctor could even finish speaking.

She was in utmost awe and respect of An Xiaoning’s accurate predictions.

WIth cold and trembling hands, she picked up her mobile phone and sent An Xiaoning a text message: “You were spot-on, Ms. An. I just went for a checkup at the hospital, and I’m infected with a virus which would result in acute heart failure. There would also be no symptoms at all during the incubation period. I truly understand now that we ought not to commit sins and cause harm to others for our own selfish reasons. But, it’s all too late now.”

An Xiaoning felt a sudden sense of sadness and pity upon reading her message, to which she replied: “Isn’t it your greatest wish to marry Mr. Ye? Why did you announce that you would be calling off the wedding?”

Bai Ranran replied: “Perhaps humans only realize what’s most important when our days are numbered. I’ve always thought that I was merely diagnosed with a blood disorder and that I still had a long life ahead of me, which I could spend with him. But since I can’t, I shouldn’t marry him despite it being the greatest wish of my life, lest I end up being too reluctant to die. Once I marry him, I would never bear to give up my place as his wife to someone else. That would become my greatest regret. Besides, Xiaotian has never once loved me. He’s only treating me well out of gratitude, because I donated a kidney to his mother when she was diagnosed with uremia. Ms. An, I’m actually not willing to die at all, I’m still so young. I’m only 23 this year! But, I can’t help it since everything is destined. Last but not least, thank you, Ms. An.”

An Xiaoning answered: “Take care.”

As soon as she put her phone down, she was overwhelmed with a mix of emotions.

She had always seen death as merely an inevitable process of life that no one can escape from. In this limited life, there are only very few people who can truly understand the purpose of existence.

One ought to do many kind deeds while he’s living; only then can he be at peace with himself.

However, some things are only realized when one when is on the brink of death — when it’s all too late. The further one is away from death, the closer he is to selfish desires.

“Sis Weiwei, that dimwit, Bai Ranran, has announced that the wedding would be called off. Isn’t that splendid?” said the assistant as she handed her phone to Sun Weiwei, who had just finished filming a television program.

Sun Weiwei was puzzled upon taking a glance at the shocking piece of news and said in bewilderment, “Isn’t marrying Brother Xiaotian what she’s always yearned for the most? Is she out of her mind?”

“I don’t know, I find it rather peculiar and abrupt too. But Sis Weiwei, now that she’s gotten out of the way, you’re one step closer to Mr. Ye,” answered the assistant who gloated in joy, finding the news to be a fortunate event.

“I don’t care, whatever. Start driving, let’s go for dinner,” the fatigued Sun Weiwei instructed as she laid sluggishly on the seat in the van.