Chapter IV

Brandon walked into Uncle Walt's barbershop and was warmly greeted by the owner Tyler Adams who was the grandson of the founder Horace Adams.  The sixty year old man told him to take as seat while he finished up with one of his customers.   

           As he sat down in the chair he his phone notified him of a text.  He took the phone out of his pocket and saw that it was from his brother Ben.  He opened the text which read what was going on between you and Buddy?  Then there was a picture of him slapping his younger brother in the leg.

             Crap he thought as he looked at it.  He did not even think that someone would take pictures of him disciplining his brother.  If that thought had occurred to him he would have pulled him into the back of the barbershop where he could have done it more privately.  He then cursed himself for his stupidity.

               Where did you get that?  he asked.

               One of my cousins sent it to me Ben replied.

               Which one?

                Doesn't matter bro.

                Brandon then typed another question.  He's not going to send it to anyone else is he?

                 Not if he values sitting down he's not Ben replied.  Another text then appeared.  He promised me that he would delete it.

                 I hope he does he thought.

                 So what happened?

                  Brandon wanted to tell his brother to mind his own business.  That it was between them and their father and he had no right to question him about it.  After he all he did not interrogate him about the last whipping that he gave their brother Butch.  He typed this into phone and then quickly deleted it.

                     He disobey me so I had to punish.

                     In public.  An angry emoji then appeared on the screen.  Come on man you know better to discipline him in public.

                       I know he replied.  I wasn't thinking bro. 

                       Well you need to start thinking.  What if that was not the only picture of you smacking him around?  What if there is a video of you doing it?

                         I hope not he thought.

                         And did you think about how this is going to effect him?  

                          It's not like it's a secret that he gets beat.  Brandon replied back.  I am sure everyone saw it had gotten a beating themselves at some point in their lives.

                           THAT'S NOT THE POINT.  Ben replied.  It should not be done in public.  If he needs to be disciplined it should be done in private not for all the world to see.  I never once disciplined you in public like that. 

                            I know, I know he replied as he felt a sense of shame come over him.  I should not have lose my temper with him.

                              You know if taking care of him is too much for you maybe I should watch him after school.

                          His eyes widened at the text.  No he thought I can take care of him, its not too much for me, please don't take this away from me he pleaded inwardly. 

                         He quickly responded that he could watch after Buddy, that he promised that it would never happen again.

                       Ok.   But if I ever hear about you disciplining him public like that again I am going to come over the house and the two of us are going to have a talk.  Understand me.

                        Brandon then swallowed hard when he saw the post.  Yes sir.

                        He let out a sigh of relief glad that he did not lose the responsibility of looking after Buddy.  He loved watching his brother, he saw it as honor and privilege.  He was a part of making him  the man that he was becoming and he did not want to miss out on that.  And he wanted to do more to help his brother, to mold him, to guide him as he entered adulthood just like Ben guided him. 

                        He then thought of his idea again and it began to seem a little less crazy.

                        Another text came to his phone.  It was from Ben again.  You know I love you right little brother.

                        Yeah.  I love you too brother.  He replied.

                         Have you told daddy and Elizabeth yet?

                         Not yet he replied.

                          Why not?

                          Well for one thing I have been talking to you for the last two minutes he thought.

                           You don't discipline their sixteen year old son and not tell them Brandon he scolded.

                          I know bro.  I will tell them right now.

                          He then sent a thumbs up emoji.  

                          I'll talk to you later bro.

                          Have a good afternoon bro.  Brandon replied.

                          Brandon quickly sent off a text telling them what happened.  That Buddy had disobeyed and he had to give him a few swats on the leg to get him to comply.  He admitted to them that was done in public and apologized to them hoping that he would not be punished for his stupidity.  He held his breathe as he sent the text off imagining what their reaction would be.  A part of him feared that they would take responsibility of Buddy away from him and give it to Brandon.

                        Or worse yet one of his other half siblings. 

                         He sat a few minutes staring at his phone and no reply came. 

                          I guess I will talk to them about this tonight he thought as he put the phone back in his pocket.  He then sunk in his seat as once again he started to think about his idea.  As he dwelled on it he found himself wanting to do it more.  He believed that it was the right thing to do, he just needed to convince his parents of that.