Chapter XLII

After spending the evening dining out with his family and being showered with too much affection by his mother Mason walked into Burt's study where he had retreated to after their return home.    His stepfather was sitting at his desk looking at his computer while a glass of brandy sat near the keyboard.  Though he claimed he was going to his study to catch up on some work he was certain that he was emailing one or more of his many mistresses.  He wondered if it was anyone he knew or had he tired of his current mistresses and was now pursuing a new conquest.

He thought how there was a time he hated his stepfather for how he treated his mother.  How he embarrassed and humiliated her.  The pain he caused her over the years with his constant affairs.  But over the last couple of years he had lost sympathy for his mother.  Not that he believed his actions were justified, nothing justified his behavior.  But he just found it difficult to care.

And it was difficult to hold bitterness towards this man.   Despite all man's faults, of which Burt Johnson has many,  he has never with him anything  but respect.   And right now he needed a parent who he knew who could respect his boundaries.

Mason softly knocked on the door causing Burt to look up from his screen.  His normal stoic look disappeared as he smiled.  "Oh Mason I was just about to call you.  Come in son. "  His face in then returned to his serious expression.  "Please shut the door."

Mason closed the door and then sat across from Burt as he took a sip of his brandy.  Mason liked his lips as he craved the glass's golden liquid.  He desperately wanted to get up and pour himself a drink but restrained himself.  Just wait until you back at college he told himself don't spend your vacation in trouble.  Well in anymore trouble then you already going to be in. "Your momma tells me that you put Buddy in the corner today."

"Yes daddy." He said.  "He forgot to stand at attention for me so I punished him."

Burt nodded his head.  "But his punishment was interrupted by your momma."

"Yes she made him get out of the corner before his time was up."   Mason said.

"How long was he in the corner before she pulled him out?"

"Probably no more than a minute."

"So he still owes you thirty minutes."  Burt said.

"Yes daddy."

Burt pressed a button on the intercom and said "Buddy please come into the study."

A few seconds later Brian's nervous voice came over the intercom.  "Yes daddy."

"You put him in the corner for thirty minutes for not standing at attention."  Burt said with a look of surprise in his eyes.  "That's a little harsh for you.  Normally you just scold Buddy or give him lines for something so minor?"

Mason shifted in his seat and gave him an awkward look.  He was tempted to make up some story why he had punished Brian so severally.  Tell him that he just wanted to establish his authority with him or that he had warned when he last home that was going to happen if he did not remember to stand.  He then let out a hard breath as he said "I don't want to lie to you daddy."

"That's good."  Burt said. "Because I hate being lied too."

"That's ironic."  He said under his breath.

"Excuse me."  Burt said.

"Nothing."  Mason said as his skin turned pale white.  That was not suppose to be out loud he thought.

"No it wasn't nothing."  His stepfather's eyes narrowed to him as he spoke.  "Tell me what you said."

Mason's shoulder's slumped and he averted his eyes as he mumbled. "I said that's ironic."