Chapter LIII

The parking lot of the brown and white building that was the location of Parker's Steakhouse was filled.  Brian was unsure if they were going to be able to find a parking space as they drove around.   He almost suggested that they try the Adam's House of Burgers across the street but someone pulled out of a spot and his father quickly slid in.  

"I won't worry too much about Ethan."  Burt said as they got out of the car.  "I'm sure he will come around."  Brian had told him about their confrontation in the bathroom and how their friendship was now over.  "And I am sorry that your mother's actions today sent you through such an emotional turmoil."

"Thank you sir."  I have not told you everything yet he thought.  He told him that he was about her demanding his login information, that he was upset with the threat of spanking.  But he did not tell her about his memories about the Mason's sixteenth birthday party or about his memory from when he was fourteen.   He still unsure if he should tell him or not.  

He then looked at his father and questioned if he did not already know.  I mean how could not know he thought.  After all she was his wife.  Yes they did not have the closest of relationships but he still had to know what was going on.  He could not be that blind.

"But I believe that we have all that settled and we put all that behind us."

I hope so he thought.

They walked towards the brown and white building which had two cow statues standing on either side of the entrance.  A memory of him as a little boy and his father putting him on top of one of the cows played through his mind.  His mother concerned that he was going to slide off and his father telling her not to worry so much.    He could not help but smile.

"What?"  He said with a look of curiosity.

"I was just remembering coming here with you and mom when I was little kid."

"Oh."  He said.  

"It was funny when I was kid I used to think that you owned the place."

"You did."  He said amused.

"Yeah I thought you owned the place and named it after Parker."  Brian told him.  "I use to get jealous that you did not name it after me.  But then I saw what year the restaurant opened."  He looked at the sign that said serving you since 1967.  "And I realized that it opened way before Parker was born."

"Years before I was born even."  He said.

Brian then opened the door for his father and said "It was just coincidence that it shared the same name with my brother."  His father then stopped and looked at him.  He did not like that look in his father's eyes.  "It is a coincidence isn't."

"Well not exactly."  Burt then scratched the back of his neck.  A sign that his father was extremely uncomfortable.  "Parker's mom named him after the restaurant because it was where we met."

"I thought you met her at a strip club."  Brian said as a sense of discomfort began to rise inside of him.

"No she worked at a strip club but she was also a waitress here."  He said.  "I met her when I was here with a business associate."

"Business associate?"  Brian asked.

Burt then shifted his feet.  "I was on a date with another woman."  He tried to remember who the exactly woman was but he could not.  It was their only date which ended with a handshake in the parking lot and he never saw her again.  He thought how he would not even know if he passed her on the street.  But he did wish her well whoever she was.

"Of course you were." Brian said with a bit of judgment in his voice.  His wonderful childhood memory was now tainted.  "So let me get this straight you are bringing me to a restaurant where you brought one of your mistresses and met another one of your mistresses who in turn named your illegitimate son after."