Chapter LXIII

Six years ago

Twenty minutes later Burt and Brooks arrived at Pamela's house.  Burt looked at his son as they walked up the driveway and asked "Did you have a nice time tonight?"

"Yes daddy."  Brooks said not looking at his father.

Burt put arm around him as he asked "Did you like getting to know your brother and cousin." 

"I liked Parker."  Brooks said.  "I didn't like Eric."

"You didn't like Eric?"  He said in surprise.

"No."  He said.  "He wasn't nice. He kept making fun of me."

"I'm sorry to hear that."  Burt said.  "I don't think he meant anything by it but I'll have his daddy talk to him."

"Okay."

The two walked up the steps and Brooks asked "Can we get ice cream next week?"

"Of course we can champ."  He said and then knocked on the door.

"Can Buddy come?"

A awkward expression crossed Burt's face.  "If its okay with Buddy's mommy he can."

"That means no."  Brooks said disappointed.

Burt was about to say something but the door then opened revealing a crying Pamela.  "Pamela."  He said in shock as he looked at her eyes which were swollen and red.  

"Are you okay mommy?"   Brooks asked.

"Yes baby I'm fine."  She said as she wiped her eyes.  "Come on in."  Brooks walked in and Burt followed her.  "Go get ready for bed."

"Can daddy tuck me in?"  Brooks asked.

"Yeah champ I'll tuck you in."  Brook then smiled at his answer and then went to his room.  Burt then asked "Are you okay?"

"No."  Pamela let out a small sob.  "Russel and I broke up."

"I'm so sorry."  Burt said.  "What happened?"

"He said he was tired of competing with a ghost."

"A ghost?"  He asked confused.

"You Burt, he was talking about you."  She then walked over to the coffee table where a box of tissues sat and pulled one out.  "He thinks that I am still in love with you."  She said as she wiped her eyes.  "Ridiculous right."

"Yes."  He said giving her an awkward look.

"What we had was never love."  She said.  "Lust yes, infatuation yes but not love."  

If you say so he thought but did not say.  "Do you want me to talk to him, assure him that there is nothing between us."

"No."  She said firmly.  "That would only makes things worse."

"Is there anything I can do for you?"

Brooks voice then came from down the hall.  "I'm ready to be tucked in daddy."

"Yes go tuck in your son."  Pamela said.

"Okay."  

Burt walked to Brooks bedroom where he said goodnight to his son and then few minutes later returned to the living room where he found Pamela sitting on the couch.  A bottle of wine and two glasses sat on the coffee table in front of her.

Pamela poured herself a glass of wine and said "Have a drink with me."

"Do you think that's a good idea."  Burt said cautiously.  Wine and the two of them was a very bad combination.