Chapter XLV

As Burt fished the keys to store from his pocket a middle age woman with a haircut that cried let me speak to the district manager walked up to him.  "Excuse me."  The five five woman whose eyes were  hidden behind a pair of sunglasses said.   Burt had the key and a few inches away from the lock when he looked at her.  "Are you open?"

"Sorry we are not open right now."  He said.

"The sign says that you should be opened."  The woman said pointing at the sign in the window.  "I've been waiting out for twenty minutes."

"I'm sorry but we are not open right now."  Burt said as he slid the key into the lock.

"But the sign says that you should be open."  She snorted.

"Yes I understand that but we are not open."  Burt told her.

"When are you going to be open?"  She asked.

"I don't know."  He said.

"If the sign says that you should be open right now then you should be open."  The woman complained. 

"But we are not." He said and then unlocked the door and walked in.  The woman mad a dash to the door trying to grab it but he locked it as she placed her hand on the door.  She pulled at the door and her face then twisted in anger.  The woman just stood on the other side of the door glaring at him as he walked towards the back of the office.

Elizabeth sat at the with her hands in her head.  Can this day get any worse she thought.

"Elizabeth."  Burt said as he walked into the room.

Great it just got worse she thought as she looked up and saw him standing at the door. "What do you want?"  

"I hear your employees mutinied?"  He said as he walked into the office.

"Yes all my employees quit on me."  She said as her face twisted in anger. Shortly after Jamie and Clara left the other two employees called to say that they quit as well.  "Bunch of lazy, worthless, ingrates that is why they were."

"They are not lazy, worthless ingrates."  Burt said.  "They were hard working employees who quit because of the toxic environment that you created."

"Hard working employees."  She smirked.  "Tell me Burt would you be saying that if they were twenty something men."

"Yes I would be."  Burt said as he sat down.  "Because its true.  They were good employees and you drove them away."

"And tell me how do you know this?"  She asked.

"I have my sources."  He replied.

"Really now."  She said with suspicion in her voice.  "And which one of my former employees are you sleeping with."

"I'm not sleeping with anyone." Burt said.

"If you say so."  I bet its Clara she thought. No wonder she was so brazen today. "So did you just come hear to berate me about my handling of my employees or this another reason why you have blessed me with your presence?"

"Yes I understand that you have been tormenting our children today."

"Really now?"  She asked.  "And who told you that."

"All of them."  Burt said.  "Mason, Esther, Brandon, and Buddy have contacted to me today about you."   A look of disapproval crossed her father.  "They are very upset with you."

"Not as upset I am with them."  She said.  "All three of our sons have been nothing but disobedient and disrespectful today."  She shook her head.  "They are going to regret how they treated me today."