Chapter XVI

It was three in the morning when Brian awoke with the feeling that he was being choked.  He tried to swallow but found it difficult as the invisible grip seemed to get tighter around his neck.  He reached out for a glass of water hoping to quench the thirst that was tormenting him but found none.  He then remembered that he did not get an opportunity to get himself a glass before going to bed.

         He got up and made his way to the bedroom door to go to the kitchen.  He hesitated for a moment as fear swelled up inside of him.  He almost turned around and returned to his bed and just deal with the thirst instead of going downstairs and risk receiving another whipping. 

        No he thought I need to get a drink of water and its not like I'm going downstairs to watch television.   No, I'll be fine he told himself.  No one is going to punish me for getting something to drink. 

        He walked into the hall and could hear snoring from his brother's room.  And from his parent's room he could hear the television playing but he doubted that this mom was still up.  She probably had fallen asleep while watching television like she often did.  He found it funny how his mother never seemed to make it through whatever movie she was watching.  He wondered how many movie's ending she had missed because she dozed off during them.

          Brian rubbed his still aching backside as he walked downstairs.  The floor creaked on the fourth step from the bottom and for a moment he stopped and looked back up the stairs.  His stomach began to tight in knots as he waited to hear the sound of movement, his name called by Brandon or his mother ordering back to his room, or the appearance of one of them at the top of the steps with  hairbrush or belt in handle.

           But nothing happened.

           Stop being so paranoid he chided.  He rubbed his throat again as he made his way downstairs.  He thought he was not sure what hurt more right now his backside or his throat.   He walked into the kitchen and flipped the light on.  His eyes widened as he saw his father sitting at the table, a bit disheveled and nursing a beer.

            He looked up at him bleary eyed.  "What are you doing out of bed boy?" 

            "I came to get a drink of water."

           "Well this would be place to do it."  He let out a small burp. "Excuse me." He took a swig of his beer and then looked back at his son.  "Well why are you standing there like a deer caught in headlights, go get your water boy." 

             "Yes daddy."   He said and then walked to the cabinet and pulled out a glass.

             "You use to call me to bring you a glass of water."  Burt said as he tried to get his eyes to focus on the blur that was his son.  "When you were little."

              "Yes I did."  He turned on the faucet and filled the glass.

               "I remember one time your momma brought you water and you refused it because it had to be daddy who gave it to you."

                 That I don't remember he thought as he took a drink.   He wondered if that was Esther or Brandon.  Or even Ben.

                 "Your momma always like to tell people that you were a little mommy's boy but in truth you were daddy's boy."  He said with a look of fondness.  A quizzical look crossed his face. "You are still daddy's boy aren't you?"
          He took a drink to think for a moment unsure how to answer.  He then  said "I'm both a mommy's boy and a daddy's boy." He thought how that was also true of Brandon. They did not favor either parent, they were close to both of them and were desperate to please both.