Five Sons

"Hello boys."  Burt said as he walked over to them.   Brooks' and Butch's faces were masks of curiosity, the two were dying to know what was going on and they struggled not to pelt him with the hundreds of questions he was sure was going through their minds.  All in good time gentlemen he thought all in good in time.  He then looked at Brandon whose countenance seemed troubled, he was lost in thought and more looking through him than at him.  

The two boys said hi to him and then Burt told Brooks to sit the shakes on the desk and called him over to him. Brooks body tensed as he walked over to his father the curiosity that his visage once held was replaced by worry, he instinctively began to rub his backside

 Burt placed his hand on his son's shoulder and looked him in the eyes as he said "I understand you did not have a very good afternoon."

"No sir."  He said with shame in his voice and averted his eyes from his father and then looked at him again.

"Your momma and I are very disappointed in you son."  Brooks flinched in pain at his words.  Hearing those words coming from his father's mouth hurt worse than the spanking that Brandon had given him.  He would take a thousand spankings if meant to never hear his father say that again.  "You know better than to have people over your house, especially girls when your mom and stepdad are not home."

"Yes sir."  He said as he became visibly upset.  "I'm sorry, I knew what I was doing was wrong, we weren't doing anything bad I promise I was just showing them my room." 

Burt studied his son and then said "I believe you."  The boy then relaxed for a moment but quickly tensed again when his father said "But your mother still wants to talk to you."  He then squeezed his shoulder and retracted his hand.  "And when your mother is done talking to you we are going to talk as well."

His body then began to shake as he weakly said "Yes sir."  I guess I have another spanking coming my way he thought ruefully.  

"Why don't you go see your momma, we'll talk in a bit."

"Yes, daddy."   He then turned to leave and turned back to face his father.  "I'm sorry sir, I really am."

"I know champ."  He then looked at his son and sympathy and pulled him to him taking the boy into a tight embrace.  "Everything is going to be okay."  He said in a low whisper.

Brooks pulled away from his father giving him a slightly awkward look.  He could not believe that this touchy feely, openly affectionate person was his father.   He thought how he had received more hugs from him today than he had in the past two years of his life.  He studied the man's face as he thought who are you and what have you done with my daddy.  

"You better get going your momma is waiting."  He said.

Brooks nodded his head as he said "Yes sir."  

He then turned to head to his mother's office when his father spoke his name.  Brooks turned and Burt pointed to the two shakes that he had left on the desk.  "Don't forget about these."  Brooks walked over to them no longer in the mood for a shake.   I guess I should at least give Buddy's his he thought.  "Where's Buddy?"  He then eyed his father's office wondering if he was in there.

"He's laying down in Ben's office."  Burt said.

Ben's office Butch shuddered as he watched Brooks pick up the shakes.  He became sick to his stomach as he thought about all the excruciating painful butt whippings he received in there.   Even the beating he received at the hands of Mister Winters were nothing compared to the ones that Ben inflicted upon him.

Just the thought of being near his office tied his stomach in tight knots.

His eyes then met Brooks and he saw the dread contained within them.  He had the march to the gallows look across his face that Butch knew all too well.  He shot his brother a look of sympathy as he passed him.