Chapter LXVIII

Six years ago

The night of Mason's birthday part Burt had chosen to take Brooks out for ice cream.  He hated to miss Mason's party but his tolerance for his wife was at an all time low.  He was certain that the woman was going out of his way to pick a fight so that the party could be ruined and he could be blamed.  And the last thing he wanted to do was ruin Mason's party.  He just hoped that boy was having a good time.

"Are you enjoying your ice cream?"

"Yes daddy."  Brooks said as he dug into the chocolate ice cream.  "Thank you for taking me out today."  He said and then shoved the ice cream into his mouth.

"You're welcome champ."  Burt said with a smile.  

The boy swallowed the ice cream and then said "I wish Buddy was here."

"I wish Buddy was here too but his mom wanted him to stay with her."  Burt hated to leave Buddy behind but his wife had been adamant about staying.  He did not understand why he was okay with Esther and Brandon leaving the house and not Buddy.  

He then saw annoyance flicker in Brooks' eyes at the mention of his stepmother.  I know how you feel pal he thought.

He then heard a familiar voice call his name, he looked up and saw a striking blonde hair woman with two young children in toe.  A moment of nervousness went through him at the sight of her but it quickly dissipated as he forced a smile.  "Hello Sandy."  He stood up and gave her a hug and she then hugged him back.  "Hey Parker, hey Eric."  He said as he greeted the boys. 

"Hi daddy."  Eleven year old Parker said.

"Hi Uncle Burt."  Ten year old Eric said.

Remembering that Brooks was there he then said "Eric, Parker this is another one of my little boys Brooks.  Brooks this is your brother Parker and your cousin Eric."

"Hi."  Brooks said to them shyly and the two boys returned the hi. 

"So you guys out with your mom."

They both said yes and Burt looked at his former mistress.  "I was wondering if we could talk."

"Sure."  Burt said. "Parker, Eric why don't you sit with Brooks."  He then called over the waitress. "Can we get some ice cream for the boys."  He then rubbed the top of Brooks his head as he said "I'll be right back champ."

"Okay daddy."  He said with disappointment in his voice.

"Let's talk outside."  Sandy said and Burt followed her out.

"What's going on?"  He asked.

"I need money?"  Sandy said.  "The rent is due and I am broke."

But yet you are out at the ice cream shop with the boys he thought.   He wanted to ask her about the money that both Eli and himself had given her that month but he was having a nice night with Brooks and he did not want to ruin by getting into an argument with her.  It was bad enough he would probably get into one with Elizabeth when he went home later that night.

"Is that all you need?"  He asked. "Just rent money."

"Yes that's all I need."

Burt nodded his head. "Fine I'll give your landlord a check tomorrow."

She then gave him an uncomfortable look.  "You don't have to go through all that trouble, just give me the cash now and I will pay him."

"Really its no trouble at all."  Burt said.  "I don't mind paying him myself."  Suspicion filled his face as he asked "You don't need it for anything do you."