Chapter XXIV

The door of the elevator opened and two walked onto the floor.  For a moment it seemed like Brooks was about to bolt back into the elevator but Burt placed his hand on the boy's shoulder and guided him towards his office.  Brooks looked back for a moment as the doors closed and then looked forward again.

          The secretary gave the two a warm smile as they walked past.  Burt nodded in return and was about to take the boy into his office when his stomach let out a small growl reminding him that he was hungry and that his food had yet to arrive.   He then looked at the secretary and said "Could you call the deli and see what is taking them so long."

              "I already did sir."  She replied.  "They apologized for the delay, evidently they are short staffed this morning and had a lot of orders.  They said they will have your food in ten minutes."

            "Thank you."  He said and the two walked into the office.

           "Are you sure you don't want anything?"  Burt asked as he walked around his desk.

          "No sir I'm fine."  Brooks then sat down.

          "So what's...."  Burt was then cut off by the ringing of his cell phone.  Much to Brook's frustration he pulled the phone from his pocket.

            And adults complain about teenagers and cell phones he thought.

            Burt's eyes widened when he saw that it was Brian's school.  A worried look crossed his face as he worried something had happened to Brian or one of his other children.  "I need to take this."

          "Of course you do."  He said under his breath. 

         "Burt Johnson."  He said into the phone.

           Brooks let out a sigh a frustration and rose to his feet to storm out. 

          "Hold on a minute."  He then put the phone to his chest and said "Sit back down."   He jabbed his finger at the chair.  The boy looked as if he was about to walk out.  "Now son.  Don't make me call Brandon and have him give you an attitude adjustment."

          He then felt a twinge of guilt in the pit of his stomach and he found that he could not look at his son in the eyes.

           The boy quickly sat down.

            "Sorry about that, how can I help you Principal Kim."  Brook's frustration quickly dissipated upon his hearing his name and was replaced by concern.  A look of shock came across Burt's face as he said "He did what?"

           Uh oh Brook thought as he thought one of his brother's was about to get a attitude adjustment of his own.  He could not help but wonder which of the many brothers it was.  I bet its Billy he mused thinking of his fifteen year old brother.  His reputation as a prankster had even reached his small school.  Or Bright, despite his name he was not very smart in how he acted towards teachers and other staff.  He then wondered if it could be the Brendan his father mentioned earlier.

            Whoever it was he was sure it was not Brian.  He laughed inwardly at the thought of Brian getting into trouble. 

           "Are you sure he made it to school?"  He asked as his worries deepened.  Brooks did not hear the answer but his father then said "He did."  Burt then began to strum his fingers against the desk.  "Okay.  I see."  He then said.  "Well thank you for calling me and I will be sure to have a discussion with him this evening."