Chapter XLIX

It was shortly after ten thirty when Brandon and Butch arrived back in Adamsville.  They probably would have been there sooner except Brandon had stopped to call his father after receiving a screenshot of his mother's message to Brandon from Kelly.  Annoyance had filled his brother as he had expressed how ridiculous his mother was acting.  It was a word that he repeated several times when he was talking to his father.

Butch was still trying to figure out what he wanted to do today as they drove down Main street.  Bowling then came into his mind.  Thought it was not something he was terribly excited about doing but it was something that he enjoyed.  Especially if his brother was going to pressure him into picking an activity.

He was about to say something to his brother when he pulled into the Adams shopping center parking lot much to his dismay.

Why are we pulling in here he thought.

Butterflies filled Butch's stomach as they drove through the parking lot.  He scrunched down in his seat hoping that his boss did not see him.  "Why are we here?"  His voice trembled as he spoke.  He then eyed Carl's Dry Cleaning which was on the left side of the Lucky's.  "Are you here to pick up dry cleaning?"

"No."  He laughed.  "I want to get a shake."  He then turned off the car. "Do you want one?"

"Yeah."  He said.  "You know that Two Brothers has some great shakes.  Let's go there instead."

"Two Brothers is back in Chester."  Brandon said.  "We are not driving back to Chester for shakes."

"My treat."

"Come on get out of car."  Brandon got out of the car but Butch remained in his seat.    Disapproval filled his face and then spoke in a tone that said he was one moment away from getting his backside busted. "Now car Butch."

Butch slowly got out of the car.  "Please don't make me go in there, Brandon."

"Why not?"

Butch then sighed.  "Mister Winters gets mad when we come into the store on our day off."  He then looked back at the store.  "He views it as being disruptive to business."

"But we're making a purchase."  He could understand if they just came in for a visit and stood around talking with their coworkers.  But they are not there to fool around.

"Doesn't matter to him."  Butch said.  "I could buy a hundred shakes and he would still be upset about it."

He looked at him in disbelief.  "That makes no sense."

"I know."  Butch said.

"His horrible attitude is what is disruptive to business."  Butch could not help but to agree with that.  Brandon looked at the store and wondered if he really wanted to go in now.  Yeah I kind of do he thought.  "Okay you don't have to go in."

"Thanks."  He said relieved.

"But stay in the car." 

"Don't worry I will."  Butch said and got back into the car.

Brandon was about to walk off but then quickly turned around.  "Oh yeah what kind of shake do you want."

"Vanilla."  He answered.

"I'll be right back."

He watched Brandon as he walked into the store and then slid down in his seat hoping that it would not take him too long.   A few seconds later Sabrina came out of the door and Butch found himself sitting up quickly.  He placed his hand on the door handle to get out of the car and meet her but he quickly retracted his hand.