Chapter VII

Another change since Brandon had turned eighteen was that he had his father's permission to use corporal punishment on his younger brothers.  Before that he could only send his brothers to their room, make them stand in the corner, restrict them to the house and even give them a small swat to get them in line.  But since he became an adult ten months ago he could beat their butts if he felt was nessceary.  Just like his older brother Ben could do to him.

               It was a duty that he saw as a sacred trust and that he took seriously.  And that he did several times with Brian.

            He held the belt in his hands as he looked at his brother's trembling form.  "Buddy."  He said.  He saw tears drip from his brother's face and hit the floor.  "Buddy you are not getting a whipping."  A bit of guilt hit him as he looked at his brother, the last thing he intended to do was freak his brother out.  "Stand up."

             Brian stood and relaxed. He quickly wiped his eyes.  "I heard daddy come home and I thought..."

              "No."  Brandon said shaking his head.  "Daddy was fine with the punishment you received."

             Thank you daddy he thought.  He picked up his homework and then walked over to his book bag.  He wondered what his brother was looking for when he check the bag.  He thought if he had any contraband the last place he would hide it was in such an obvious place.  He was smarter then that.

              "How long has it been since you had a butt whipping."   He asked as Brian pulled out a folder.

                "A couple of weeks."  Brian found it hard to swallow.  "I forgot a homework assignment making you have to turn around so I could get it.  You have me a whipping for my irresponsibility." His cheeks burned red with the memory. It was not fun going through school that day with an aching bottom.

               "Oh yeah."  Their momma was not too happy when she found out.   Not that she was against corporal punishment.  She used the hairbrush on both of them several times.  But she felt that the punishment did not fit the crime.  Their daddy did not fully agree but asked that he would not be so quick to pick up the belt with him.

                I wish they had given Ben the same advice when I was his age he thought.

                "And a week before that I got one from Ben for an inappropriate joke at his place during dinner."  He then instintvely rubbed his backside.  

                "Yeah you've got to watch what you say around Ben little bro.  I learned that the hard way."

                Brian then eyed the belt and asked "You are not going to give me a maintenance whipping like Uncle Eli does with his boys are you."

                 "What."  He said in astonishment.  "Of course not.  Why would you ask that?'

                 "Because you look like you are debating if you want to give me a whipping or not."

                 "I'm not."  He said firmly.

                  "I would really feel better if you put the belt back."

                  He then let out a hard sigh.  "Okay I will put it back."  He hung the belt back on the post.  He then stood up and said "Relax little brother."  He placed his hands on his shoulders.  "I'm not going to just whip you for no reason.  That's what I have Butch for."

                  A look of intense disapproval crossed his face.  "That's not even funny Brandon."

                 "I'm just kidding."  He said.  "Believe me I only whip him when he deserves it too."

                 "Boys dinner."   They heard their mom call.

                 "Let's go."   The two walked into the hall.   Brian was about to head downstairs when Brandon grabbed his arm stopping him.   He then placed his brother against the wall and worry filled the sixteen year old's eyes.  "Hold on I want to talk to you for a moment."

                  "Okay."

                   "You know that I am only hard on you because I care about you right?"

                    "Yeah, I know."  Brian said.  Though there were times that he wished he cared a little less. 

                     "I mean when I confiscate your phone, restrict your activities, or even give you swats its not because I take pleasure it."  Far from it he thought.  It killed him to bring the hammer down on his brother.  "It's only because I have your best interests at heart."

                      "I know."  Brian looked into his brother's eyes and saw something troubling him.  At first he thought it had to do with beating he received in the parking but realized this was something else.   "What's wrong?"

                     "Nothing."  He said unconvincingly.  "Nothing is wrong I just wanted to make sure that you understood my motivations."

                     "I do."  Brian said nodding his head.

                      Then they heard their father's voice "Boys if you don't get down here this minute I'm throwing your dinner in the garbage and sending you both to bed without supper."

                       "We better go."  Brandon said and the two hurried down stairs.