Chapter 22: The Trail of Senses

Best Jeanist was positioned far away from you. The surrounding pillars loomed like threatening spectators.

You slowly move forward, careful of where you position each part of your body.

There was a slight pressure on your leg. Then came a searing pain.

You jerk back, glancing at the front of your calf. It was bleeding.

You: I didn't even feel it until it was too late.

Jeanist: Your eyes are your enemy here. Never rely on sight.

You take a deep breath and focus.

The only things you could feel were Best Jeanist and the Pro's up in the observation booth.

You: How?! I don't know how to-

Jeanist: Your sixth sense is more than a way to detect people (R/N). I believe what Phoebe said is that electrons bounce off of everything. You just need to fine tune your senses to detect these electrons to maneuver around.

You: Kind of like echo location...

Jeansit: Exactly.

You try to detect the electrons in the air. Some time passes before you get the slightest of movement from invisible forces in the area around you.

You: Okay... now what...

Jeanist: Figure it out. Bats are blind aren't they? Their eyes are useless.

You: My eyes...

You shut your eyes and try to picture the area from memory.

The more you pictured, the better your brain filled in gaps about the surrounding areas with the information from the moving electrons.

There was a solid image in your mind of what was around you. Very thin areas in the shape of lines formed in on their own with out any manual input.

You slowly moved around according to the path that was pictured in your mind. Traversing the environment was dangerous due to the very small gaps in between each set of fibers.

The closer you got to Best Jeanist, the harder it was to navigate.

You cut your appendages on a few lines. There was no doubt in your mind that you were bleeding out of almost every limb by that point.

Wires started to move around in a pattern, making it even tougher to move, but eventually, you reached the top pillar where Best Jeanist was posted.

Jeanist: You've done suprisingly well up to this point. Now...

Many different strings circle his body, there was only one opening, and it was too small for you arm to fit through.

Jeanist: A hero isn't afraid to make sacrifices to his or her body. What is an arm to the lives of the innocent?

You: You're not telling me to cut up my own arm just to hit you are you?!

Jeanist: If that's what it takes to complete your mission, then yes. Your arm is meaningless in comparison to the objective at hand.

You: But... this isn't right! I'm not going to get rid of my arm to complete some stupid training! I won't do it!

Jeanist: Then I guess you and I will sit here until the day is over. I'm not going to call this training over until you strike me. I know you can do it but you're not willing to pay the price.

You: THIS IS INSANE!

You turn to the one way glass.

You: WHY ARE YOU ALLOWING THIS? THIS ISN'T TRAINING, IT'S JUST DISMEMBERMENT!

There was no response.

Jeanist: You want to become a hero correct?

You turn back to Best Jeanist.

You: I do! But this is madness!

Jeanist: You've already made a sacrifice once to save a dear friend, why is this any different?

He was referring to your left arm.

Jeanist: A true hero isn't afraid of pain or death in the face of evil. If this was a real situation, you have attacked me by now, slicing your arm without a second thought.

You: Yeah but that was a real situation! This is just training!

Jeanist: Then I suppose you will never become a hero. Without the will to make sacrifices, people will die, and you'll be disgraced.

You: I-

You weren't sure what to do.

You: I guess I could use my left arm... it's already scared to hell and I wouldn't feel anything... but that's not what this is about. He's telling me to harm myself in the name of training. That's not right- wait

You flashback to the first day at U.A when Aizawa scared the class into thinking that the person with the lowest score on the fitness exam would be sent home. He used fear to ensure that everyone did their best. Maybe Best Jeanist was using a similar tactic.

You move back your left arm, preparing to strike at Jeanist.

You: I really hope I'm right about this...

You keep your eyes closed as you make a straight sprint at Jeanist, stopping right at the barrier of razor sharp wire.

You thrust your arm forward, letting out a yell and bracing for pain.

The wire infront of Jeanist's face quickly widened, allowing for easy passage of your arm stright to his face. There was no pain.

Jeanist: You passed this challange.

You open your eyes to see that your fist was planted directly on his face.

Your arm was perfectly fine.

You: So I was right...

You take your hand away from him.

Jeanist: Sacrifice is a big part of being a Pro-Hero. This part of your training was to show you that everyday, a pro has to make a choice between bodily harm or failure. It's unavoidable for some, including me. When I heard of what you did to save your classmate at the U.S.J, I had to see for myself if you truly had that will power.

You: But I-

Jeanist: I'm not done talking.

You: Sorry sir.

Jeansit: You're still just a first year student, I didn't expect you to willingly shove your hand into a meat shredder to complete a training exercise, but by punching me, you showed everyone here that you still took action against your natural instinct. Phoebe was right about you. There is something great in your future.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You were brought back to the lobby where a medic was on standby. The cuts on your arms and legs weren't deep and only needed light bandages.

Phoebe comes up to you once the medic is done patching you up.

Phoebe: The next part if your training is in fifteen minutes.

You: Wait, I'm still going to have to train after getting hurt?

Phoebe: Nezu thought you'd ask that, and yes, you are. You can't let pain stop you. These injuries aren't serious enough to call off the training.

You: Shit... guess you're right.

Phoebe: I know I'm right. Think of what Aizawa did for your class at the U.S.J. despite knocking on death's door.

You: He fought on for us...

Phoebe: Exactly. If he can grit his teeth and keep on fighting even though he's broken and bleeding, so can you.

You: Then I'll do just that! Who's my next challenge!

Phoebe: Snipe. The exercises are only going to get harder from here on out. That first one was ment to warm you up.

You: That- That was a warm up?