Chapter 42.5: Solace

This is admittedly a little bit of a filler/recap chapter while I get ready to write the next main parts. Apologies to those of you who have been waiting.

Please enjoy!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You couldn't sleep the night of Toga's reveal.

Her insane smile had burt a hole into your mind that lit up your thoughts like a burning building does a night sky, horrific to look at but impossible to turn away from.

Your life had changed so dramatically in just under a year and you're finally starting to realize it.

U.A.

Phoebe.

Kirishima.

Tsuyu.

Yato.

Aizawa.

Home.

The Leauge of Villains.

All For One.

These people and places had molded you into something new. Something that was still in the process of taking shape. You were still in the middle of becoming whatever the world wanted you to be, and it was a tough endeavor.

No one warned you that the path to becoming a hero would break you down to your very core. You knew it would be difficult but this? This was insane.

The positives were hard to find in the mess that was your journey so far, it seemed like more bad than good was happening to you.

Then you remembered why you applied for U.A.

You remembered why you wanted to be a hero.

You wanted to prove to the world that not all Psychics turn out to be villains.

Phoebe had already done it.

She graduated and faced the world head on with a smile on her face.

So why couldn't you?

You got out of your bed and moved over to a window that was buried behind some boxes.

Despite it being 3 a.m, the city was alive and breathing.

Innocent people were either sleeping or going about their daily businesses without worry all because they held onto the idea that a hero would be on call to save them if needed.

Someday, you would be that hero on call. You knew you would be.

A soft knock echoes from your door.

Phoebe: (R/N)? Are you awake?

Her voice was quiet. So quiet that if you had been asleep she wouldn't have woken you up.

You: Yes... I am.

She slides open the door, letting in the bright light from the living room.

Phoebe poked her head in with a soft expression on her face. There were bags under her eyes and you could smell coffee brewing in the other room.

Phoebe: I sensed your energy shifting and thought you were having a bad dream so I wanted to check in... why are you up?

You: I dont know why to be honest-

You continue to look out the window.

You: -my mind won't stop racing. It's making me feel... afraid.

You heard the door open more as Phoebe walked in.

She comes up beside you.

Phoebe: I remember feeling just like you. There were day's where the nervous in my stomach wouldn't go away. I would wake up and get instantly paranoid for what the day will bring me. It sucked. Then someone told me something I would never forget.

You: What's that?

Phoebe: 'Fear is what keeps us going. It's the driving force of all things. Without it, there is no motivation. No hope. No enjoyment. No life. Only existance. But letting it drown you will only lead to pain'. I learned to not only embrace fear, but I also learned to not let it control me. I learned that by letting a villain scare me was the same as letting them win. It's their goal to get to you. By scaring you, they've already won the battle without even lifting a finger.

You: Who told you that?

Phoebe: Aizawa did. There was a time in my life after high school when I was afraid of everything. The Yato incident left me mentally scarred. The fears he gave me suppressed my abilities and costed me the one thing I loved the most, Aizawa. He couldn't handle the way I was acting and left. Those words were the last thing he said to me before leaving...

You: So you took them to heart.

Phoebe: Indeed. I had to live in the dark to know what the light looked like. Fear held me down, but it taught me many things. I moved past it and carried on with my life, no longer controlled by that of which scared me.

Once again, Phoebe gave you a new perspective on what you were doing. She connected directly to your issues and spoke straight to you.

You: Thank you. That won't stop me from being afraid of what's to come but it certainly makes me feel a bit better.

She rubs your back in a soothing way.

Phoebe: Go on and lay down. You need to get some sleep.

You move back to your bed and get under the covers. Phoebe slides over to the edge of the mattress and slides her hand over your forehead.

The energy from her hand filled you with warm thoughts.

Phoebe: You have a great future ahead of you kid. Right now you're still expecting the 'rising hero' portion of your story. That's always the hardest part. You're gonna hit some very hard low points but what matters is... is that you get up and march on.

Phoebe looks down at you.

Your eyes were shut and your breathing was slow. You fell asleep in the middle of her speech.

Phoebe smiles back to herself.

In a very quiet, hushed voice, she sings to you.

Phoebe: Fly me to the moon... and let me play among the stars... let me see what spring is like on... Jupiter and Mars... Fill my heart with song... and let me sing forever more... in other words... please be true... in other words...

She chokes up as she watches your peaceful face.

Phoebe: ...in other words... I... Love... you.

She leans down and kisses your forehead.

Phoebe: Rest well little hero.

She silently gets up and closes the door to your room.