Chapter 37: Infiltration

In a motel near the outskirts of Hosu city, your mother sits on a bed, watching television.

With Carnin missing and you living with Phoebe, your mother had to find a place to stay.

It was nightfall and the heater in the room made a loud droning sound that kept your mother awake. She tried to sleep but the pain in her leg was too much. It intensified after Yato's attack.

A knock at her door scared the poor woman. She was at a motel, meaning that whoever was at the door was likely a stranger.

She looks through the door hole and goes wide eyed at who she sees.

Mother: Carnin!

She flings open the door with tears in her eyes.

Carnin stood there, dressed in the same outfit he wore durring the Hosu attack. His hair was a mess and his suit was dirty.

Mother: Where have you been?! Your brother and I have been worried sick!

Carnin: Sorry I got... caught up with something. When I ran from the attack I found myself afraid to return to Hosu. I wasn't sure if there were still villains in the town.

Mother: You can tell me all about it when you come in.

He steps inside the motel room, playing with something in his pocket.

Carnin looks himself over in the mirror.

Mother: Are you okay? Are you hurt?

He sighs and continues to look at himself.

Carnin: I've been a bad man mom.

Mother: What do you mean baby?

Carnin: I did something that you'll be very angry with me over.

Mother: W-what?

Your mother grew concerned with how he was acting. He wasn't talking how he normally would.

Carnin: I helped the villains... in Hosu. I told them when to attack and how-

Your mother's face twists in fear.

Carnin: -but I did it for us...

He pulls out a photo.

Carnin: I found her mom. I found Toga. I found my sister.

He let's out a little laugh.

Carnin: She helped me see the error of my ways.

Your mother moves slowly to the motel door, ready to run as fast as she could.

Mother: T-Toga's dead. She died a long time ago.

Carnin: No, she didn't.

His voice changed. It was that of a teenage girl's.

Carnin: Toga is alive and well. See?

He turns around to face your mother.

His hair formed into two messy buns on each side of his head. He grew shorter and his face distorted into a female's.

Himiko Toga revealed herself to your mother.

Toga: I survived mother. After I was ABANDONED BY YOU AND THOSE HEROES!

She pulls out a knife from her pocket and throws it at your mother's hand, perfectly striking her wrist to stop her from opening the door.

Your mother tries to scream but Toga darts over to her and shuts her mouth.