Chapter 28: Nature's Beauty

Tiger went on endlessly about various safety tips. His information ranged from common sense to very specific circumstances.

Tiger: -and that is why you should always keep a map on you. Any questions?

You: Nope. I think you quite litterally covered everything.

Tiger: Good! Now because you're interning with us, people must be able to identify you as one of ours.

Mandalay reaches into a small box. Her face lights up as she pulls out what looked like a bright red choker with a small bell on it resembling the ones they wore around their necks.

Pixie-Bob: We decided that you're going to have to wear this.

Ragdoll: Yup yup! We don't want the campers thinking you're some creepo hangin' around the woods!

You: Do I seriously have to wear that?! Isn't there an alternative?!

Mandalay: Well... I DO have a spare cat tail you can wear.

You: ... I'll take the choker.

She hands you the choker with a smug smile.

The bell made a light chiming sound as you put it on.

Ragdoll: Ha! You look like a total dork!

You: THIS WAS YOUR IDEA!

Ragdoll: And that's what makes it so much better!

Mandalay: Don't tease him Ragdoll. Our young kitten has much to learn about being a hero. Especially concerning humility.

You: Okay I have one request, please stop calling me 'kitten'.

Pixie-Bob: Sorry but that's your codename when you're with us. You'll just have to learn to live with it kitten.

Mandalay grabs a radio.

Mandalay: Here, you're gonna need one of these in the event we get separated.

Tiger: We start patrolling in ten minutes! So get dressed and be ready!

You: Yes sir!

You swiftly change into your costume, turn on your indicator, and holster the radio you were given.

You: Of all the heroes they could have sent me with, I had to get the weirdest ones.

You exit your room.

The Wild Wild Pussycats were waiting for you in the main lobby area. It was mostly barren minus a few employees working the counter.

Mandalay: Ready to set out?

You: Of course I am. I'm stoked to get started.

Pixie-Bob: We're going to be splitting up into two teams and travel the main paths. Today you're with Mandalay and I. Tiger and Ragdoll are going to be traveling another path that connects to ours.

Mandalay: You're going to be switching off between the teams each day we're out here so you'll get plenty of experience.

They take you outside and branch off down two different paths into the forest. Your group took the most well developed of the two.

You trailed a foot behind Mandalay and Pixie-Bob, listening to anything they had to say while taking in the sights of the wet forest. The trees weren't dense enough to completely cut out the sunlight so there were patches where light shined through the branches, illuminating the muddy ground.

You: So now that we're out here, what do we do?

Pixie-Bob: We listen in for any distress calls, look for things that look out of place, and respond to any situations on the radio.