Side Story: City Lights

~~~~~~~~Phoebe Nania~~~~~~~

Under the moonlit night sky, Phoebe sits alone atop a highrise building, soaking in the sights of a sleeping city.

The lights of distant houses, apartments, and businesses flooded her eyes with shades of green, white, blue, and neon pink.

She let her left leg hang off the seventy story building to let the high altitude wind brush across her skin. It had rained not too long ago so the scent of wet concrete was fresh around the city.

This is how Phoebe spent most of her work nights. She would sit atop a building alone trying to sense out any trouble below. Working in the day would be considerably more difficult with being around civilians who "disagree" with her quirk so she worked at night with Aizawa agaisnt villains who have less civilians to threaten.

Being alone at night brought a certain peace to Phoebe's constantly stressed mind. Seeing the stars and city lights was soothing when combined with the noises of a sleeping city.

Phoebe sensed Aizawa approaching from behind.

Phoebe: You're back early.

Aizawa: The villains didn't put up much of a fight. I subdued them and the police took care of the rest.

He leans up against the edge of the building where Phoebe was sitting and gazes out to the cityscape.

Phoebe: No matter how many times I see it, I'm always amazed by how beautiful it all looks at night.

Aizawa: I don't pay attention to it.

Phoebe snickers.

Phoebe: Of course you don't. You need to open your eyes while you can... one day you might not get to. There's more to this life than just moping around all the time. Enjoy yourself once in awhile eh?

Aizawa: This coming from you?

Phoebe: Yes. Even in the chaos surrounding Yato, I still try to find moments like this to keep my mind leveled, unlike you. You've been stressing yourself over balancing teacher work and hero work. You're forgetting to make some time for yourself.

Aizawa: I don't have the time for it.

Phoebe: You always have time Aizawa. You just refuse to take the opportunities when they present themselves to you. You're- afraid of being weak, of letting your guard down.

Aizawa looks down at his hands resting on the steel guard railing, analyzing his scars from previous battles.

Phoebe notices this and slides one of her hands over them, rubbing her thumb on a deep scar that ran from his knuckle to his wrist.

Phoebe: We're heroes. We chose this life. We're supposed to be strong for others when they're at their weakest... but that doesn't mean we can't have moments of weakness ourselves. Relax.

Aizawa let his hands mold around her's.

Aizawa: Fine.

Aizawa looks back up to the city infront of him.

Phoebe smiles brightly as she tightens her grip on his hands.

The lights of the city finally hit Aizawa's eyes in a meaningful way, but it wasn't the simplicity of the lights or the city itself, it was how Phoebe looked in it all.

The bright lights reflected off her shiny black hair and embedded themselves in her eyes.

Green.

White.

Blue.

And neon pink.

They only added onto her beauty in his eyes.

Aizawa: I guess you're right... the city is beautiful at night.