Chapter 60.5: Facade

"The fear of death is the most primal feeling a human can experience. The thought of our journey through life suddenly ending to a variety of causes is what keeps us up at night with that indescribable deep feeling in the pit of our chests. It's a fear we all share weather you have the humility to admit it or not.

As heroes, we must put aside our fear of death to overcome the challenges before us and face the reaper with a smile... a fake smile. A smile born of artificial courage. A smile born of an empty duty.

...A smile born of fear itself.

We wear that smile as some sort of badge of honor so the fears of civilization are quelled, so the people we are sworn to protect know that "We are here!". But when we take off these costumes and wear the faces of civilians... we too fear death. The likes of All Might will tell you, "A true hero has no fear! They don't have time for it!"

They're wrong.

... and I'm guilty of spreading that false propaganda as well...

We all fear our mortality, some more than others. Me being one of them.

Heroes aren't people who don't fear death... heroes are people who aren't afraid to make a sacrifice..."

- Phoebe Nania, The Black Wind