Part 38

EXT. OUTSIDE CITY HALL - DAY

JORDANIA stands at the podium with her hand in the air, signalling for everyone's attention. The only people present are VANESSA and LUCY.

JORDANIA: Fellow citizens of Elgin!

LUCY: What are we doing again?

VANESSA: Listening to a speech.

LUCY: Min dared her to do this, didn't they?

VANESSA: Yes, they did.

JORDANIA: I am here to endorse a candidate that I think will help improve the city for greater than any has seen before.

LUCY: Oh, boy.

JORDANIA: We all know that one of the current candidates, Theron Le Mort, wants to stop us from our activities and be the ultimate bad guy that you would see in any film!

VANESSA: We shouldn't vote for him, right?

JORDANIA: Wrong! I am voting for him because I want the thrill of the chase. It would make things interesting as he poses a threat to everything that we stand for. We need this! Things have been slow and boring and we need something to fill the void while we try to find a way back home. Why not go for a hard mode!

LUCY: Don't we want things to be easier for us?

JORDANIA: Life isn't fun without any challenges. We need challenges! I can't stand another day of being bored at all!

VANESSA: I am oddly convinced. I don't know if it's because she's shouting at us or she is actually making sense.

LUCY: You realize I only hang around you guys because Belinda and Conner went off to do their own things, right?

VANESSA: Lucy, we always knew.

JORDANIA: We need excitement! Vote Le Mort and I'm sure he won't disappoint! Vote Le Mort! Vote Le- What the fuck.

A large crowd of kids flood the city hall area with MIN near the front lines.

JORDANIA CONT'D: Min, what the hell have you started now?

Min gives a sly smile and Jordania gives a concerning stare.

MIN CONT'D: Chaos.

RANDI: It's time to riot!

GINA: Free Ambrose!

CONNER: Free my boy Ambrose!

VANESSA: I don't think this is a good idea.

LUCY: Everyone is causing lots of trouble today.

ERLE squeezes through the crowd and approaches Lucy.

ERLE: You should've seen the planning stages. It just got worse and worse.

LUCY: Oh my god, you're involved too?

ERLE: Well, no exactly.

VANESSA: I'm out of here. I don't think I can go through another day of fooling around.

Vanessa leaves.

JORDANIA: The hell, Min? You didn't invite me? Move aside!

Jordania hops off the podium stand and runs to join the other's protests. A few of the kids are talking to each other while holding signs while some are yelling loudly. Every so often laughter would erupt from the group. Erle and Lucy observe the group's shenanigans.

ERLE CONT'D: I can't believe they're still vouching for the guy even though he wasn't supposed to be trusted.

LUCY:

ERLE: So what have you been doing lately?

LUCY: Just the usual, doing chores and the boring stuff.

ERLE: Really? Nothing different? I noticed nearly everywhere I walk there are kids drawing goats.

Lucy pauses and purses her lips. Her eyes are glazed over as she recalls the words she was told by QUIET MYSTIC.

QUIET MYSTIC V.O.: ...are destined for something far greater.

ERLE V.O.: Lucy?

Lucy's head snaps towards Erle and he looks at her with concern.

ERLE CONT'D: Are you alright?

LUCY (falters): Yeah.

ERLE: If anything happened you can talk to me. I'm all ears, no need to worry about me judging or-

Erle's voice fades into the background and Lucy stares at the window across the street. She squints her eyes slightly at the window to see the Curio shop statue. She gives a small gasp and Erle has a worried look.

LUCY CONT'D: I'm fine! I'm... I'm fine. I just didn't get enough sleep is all.

ERLE: I don't think-

LUCY: Oh crap, I need to leave. I forgot I promised my dad that I'm cooking dinner tonight.

ERLE: Ah I could help, my family-

LUCY: No, I'll be fine. Got to run!

Lucy scurries away and Erle watches her leave. Randi approaches Erle and puts a hand on his shoulder.

RANDI CONT'D: It's alright, everyone gets rejected eventually.

ERLE: Thanks, bud.

RANDI: Now, I heard you made this girl cake. Where's my cake?

ERLE: What?

RANDI: I'm getting cake from you whether you like it or not.

ERLE (sighs): Fine. What flavour?

RANDI: That's what I'm talking about. (Grins) Chocolate, I want to be special too.

ERLE: Psh, you don't need a cake to be special.

RANDI: Sounds like someone never gotten a cake for their birthday.

Erle rolls his eyes and the two head back to the crowd to protest.