Part 40

INT. DARK CLOSET-NIGHT (7 YEARS AGO)

A YOUNG RANDI is sitting in the corner while in the fetal position. The thumping intensifies with each interval and Randi's breathing is shaky. A scream is heard in the distance and it suddenly becomes silent. Randi gives a sharp inhale. Shuffling can be heard.

UNKNOWN V.O. (concerned): Randi, where are you?

There is more shuffling in the background. Randi's mouth twitches in anxiety.

UNKNOWN V.O. CONT'D (warning): You should really come out now.

Randi's breath becomes shakier and louder by the second.

UNKNOWN V.O. CONT'D (shouting): Randi! Get out of there! Get out Randi!

The closet door opens violently and the light shines on Randi's face.

A CLOAKED MAN and CLOAKED WOMAN loom over the child. Randi tenses for a moment then stands up slowly. Randi suddenly tries to run past the adults, but they grab the child's arms. Randi kicks and screams in anger and fear. They don't pay any attention to the kid as they walk into the hallways of the home. The walls are decorated with framed pictures of Randi's family members with a frowning young Randi. Only Randi's pleas could be heard in the dark household.

They take a sharp turn to the stair case and they slowly descend.

RANDI CONT'D: Let me go! I don't want to go!

CLOAKED MAN: As your parents, we know what's best for you. Now be quiet.

CLOAKED WOMAN: You wouldn't want to ruin the evening, now would you?

RANDI: I don't want to do it. I don't want to do it. I don't want to do it.

CLOAKED MAN: Randi, you know you don't have a choice. Nothing will change.

CLOAKED WOMAN: You should honoured really.

They open the basement doors and it reveals a red room full of people in cloaks chanting ominously in front of the black alter in the middle of a pentagram.

CLOAKED WOMAN CONT'D: You will be able to give your life to nourish a great powerful being.

RANDI: I don't like your new friends. I want things to go back to normal please. Mom, please I'm scared. Dad, can we just watch movies again? I don't like this.

CLOAKED MAN: Don't worry. It will all be over soon.

Randi starts to sob uncontrollably, and they tie the child onto the alter by the limbs. The group starts to chant louder and louder, and the cloaked man takes a ritual knife and cleans it with a red liquid in a bowl. He turns to the alter and aims for the child's stomach. Randi releases an ear-deafening shriek of terror but the ritual is stopped by a burst of red light from the pentagram.

QUIET MYSTIC appears and observes her surroundings. She frowns at the adults before her eyes latches onto Randi. Randi is now frozen in terror by the sudden appearance of the uninvited guest and everyone else begins to kneel by her feet.

CLOAKED WOMAN CONT'D: Oh, Lilith. Please accept our humble gift of this young soul to grant us powers beyond anyone's imagination. Grant us your blessing to gift us eternal life.

Quiet Mystic stares at the woman blankly and pushes her to the ground with her foot.

QUIET MYSTIC CONT'D: I accept your offer but unfortunately, I have no power of my own. My lord will be upset that you are worshiping a being of lower status. He will have to punish you.

Quiet Mystic waves her cloak over the child and the alter is left empty. She looks back to the people and the room starts to shake. People start to cling to the walls and alter in fear.

CLOAKED MAN CONT'D (panicked): What is this? An earthquake?

Quiet Mystic's red lips stretch into a sinister smile.

QUIET MYSTIC CONT'D: Call it divine intervention.

Quiet Mystic disappears and only the echo of her laughter is left behind just as the room collapses.