Part 43

EXT. OUTSIDE CITY HALL – NIGHT

VANESSA, GINA, and LUCY walk towards city hall but see the crowd of Elgin children with their pickets. CONNER stands in front of the crowd with a megaphone and the rally cheers in excitement to his speech.

CONNER CONT'D: Change must happen! If change doesn't happen, then we might as well help the change happen!

VANESSA: Conner, what the hell are you doing?

CONNER: It's been a long time since we last got clues.

VANESSA: You last rioted yesterday!

CONNER: Well, I'm tired of waiting.

VANESSA: But something exciting happened!

CONNER: Did you find another clue?

VANESSA: Well, not really but–

CONNER: Then you found nothing. What you did caused nothing, and it was useless and now we're going to do something that won't be useless.

Vanessa opens her mouth before shutting it close quickly. She glares at Conner before turning her back towards him.

VANESSA CONT'D: Fine, have it your way.

CONNER (small wave): Bye!

NANCY can be seen in the distance and she sets a car on fire. People cheer in at the spectacle and Gina stares at the chaos in silence. Lucy tugs at Gina's sleeve and she looks back at her.

VANESSA CONT'D: Gina. Let's go. I don't think it's good to be here.

GINA: But–

VANESSA: Gina.

Gina looks at the crowd of people before turning away. Gina and Vanessa leave. Lucy stays behind and she stares at the result of Conner's actions. Conner looks upon the destruction with glee.

CONNER: If this doesn't get Roch's attention, I don't know what will!

Lucy grabs Conner's shoulder and spins him to face her.

LUCY CONT'D: Conner!

CONNER: Hey, Lucy!

LUCY: What in the hell are you doing?

Conner gives an innocent smile.

CONNER CONT'D: Nothing much, just leading a revolution.

Nancy screams in the background. Lucy's head turns sharply towards Nancy's direction and she is horrified. Nancy is holding a branch that's on fire high above her head with a gleeful expression.

NANCY CONT'D (screams): Free Ambrose!

CONNER: Hell yeah! Free Ambrose!

Conner begins to walk towards Nancy but Lucy stops him.

LUCY CONT'D: Conner, someone is going to get hurt! Don't you care for anyone here?

CONNER: Relax, no one is getting hurt.

LUCY: Where the hell is Belinda then? You know she's sleep-deprived and she's at higher risk.

CONNER: She's at home, don't worry.

LUCY: Don't lie to me.

Conner throws up his hands.

CONNER CONT'D: I'm not!