Part 51

EXT. HIDGEN'S HOUSE – DAY

ROCH stands at the door for a few moments awkwardly and the door opens to reveal a dishevelled woman, MS. HIDGEN. The woman gives him the stink eye and he is taken back.

MS. HIDGEN CONT'D: I thought I paid off all my debt.

ROCH: Ms. Hidgen, I'm private investigator Roch. You called me here to look into a missing's person case?

MS. HIDGEN: Oh, it's you. Come in, it's not safe to talk about it out in the open. Come in.

She opens the door for Roch and he goes inside hesitantly.

INT. HIDGEN'S HOUSE – CONTINUOUS

The house is small, and all the furniture is wooden. There are bookshelves of trinkets and Roch looks at them hesitantly. He shuts the door behind him.

MS. HIDGEN: Have a seat anywhere you like! I'll be back with some tea. At least that would distract you from thinking that I'm a crazy person.

Roch is confused but awkwardly takes a seat on a bench. He shifts uncomfortably on it and he gives an awkward cough.

ROCH CONT'D: So Ms. Hidgen. Why did you decide to come to me for your aid?

MS. HIDGEN: All of the cops won't listen to me in this damn town and I saw you're desperate for work. Thought this might work out for the both of us.

ROCH: Thank you for thinking of me then.

MS. HIDGEN: You used to be the best cop around here and now look at you.

ROCH: Ah, yeah...

Ms. Hidgen sits across from Roch and places two cups of tea on the coffee table. Roch takes a cup and takes a sip.

MS. HIDGEN CONT'D: Let's cut to the chase now, shall we? I need you to find out what happened to someone and I think you would at least do a good half-ass job of it.

ROCH: Um, thank you?

MS. HIDGEN: You're very welcome.

ROCH: So, this person you're looking for. Tell me all about the disappearance.

MS. HIDGEN: So, it all happened twenty years ago.

FLASHBACK TO:

EXT. ABANDONNED CHURCH – NIGHT (TWENTY YEARS AGO)

MS. HIDGEN V.O.: I was eleven during the time and my older cousin, Marcus, was about age thirteen. We were by the old abandoned church and I was keeping watch for adults that happened to be in the area. My cousin didn't want me to come in with him because I was apparently too young.

A YOUNG MS. HIDGEN and MARCUS stand outside the old abandoned church and Marcus taps his foot impatiently.

YOUNG MS. HIDGEN: Why?

MARCUS: You know why! It's dangerous!

YOUNG MS. HIDGEN: Why do you get to go then?

MARCUS: Because I'm older. Now shut it and keep an eye out.

Marcus leaves to go into the building and young Ms. Hidgen is unhappy. She sits under a tree with a sigh. Moments later the wind picks up and trees shake violently. A bright light illuminates the dark and young Ms. Hidgen stares at in in shock. She quickly stands to her feet and runs to the door. Before she could touch the handle, the door opens suddenly to reveal QUIET MYSTIC in a cloak and red lipstick. Young Ms. Hidgen is startled, and their eyes meet briefly. Quiet Mystic's eyes are filled with mischief while young Ms. Hidgen's is filled with fear. Quiet Mystic flees the scene and Ms. Hidgen watches after her in confusion.

MS. HIDGEN V.O.: And that was the last I ever saw of that woman.

BACK TO:

EXT. HIDGEN'S HOUSE – DAY

ROCH: Tell me, does this woman look anything like this?

Roch takes out an unfolded photo from his pocket and shows it to Ms. Hidgen.

MS. HIDGEN: Yes. That's her. She looks exactly like that! Who is she?

ROCH: Lilith Stark. She went missing, and I was actually on her case before I was terminated. Your descriptions match this photo but–

MS. HIDGEN: This can't be a coincidence. Please find Marcus. Something isn't right around here. She's involved somehow.

ROCH: One question.

MS. HIDGEN: Yes?

ROCH: You said she looked exactly like this and how long ago did you say Marcus went missing?

MS. HIDGEN: Twenty years ago, sir.

ROCH: She went missing only a month ago and this photo was apparently taken a year ago. So, either she's a very young looking fifty-year-old or she was a fast maturing teenager.