Part 59

INT. CROWLEY'S SUPPLY AND OFFICES – DAY

ROCH sits in the run-down office with a look of hopelessness. He stares at the stacks of paper and his fingers tap the side of his face.

ROCH CONT'D (mutters): Look at me here. Look at what I've become. From so much to so little. Doesn't matter.

Roch takes out a piece of paper from the pile and stares at it intently. He takes out a photo and compares it to the other sheet of paper. He tucks the papers into an envelope.

ROCH CONT'D: The truth is the only thing I was ever pursuing. Whether the mayor approves or not isn't my concern.

He places the letter to the side and the phone catches his eye.

ROCH CONT'D: Maybe give Isabel a call. (Chuckles dryly). I wish.

He stands from his seat and stretches his arms.

ROCH: I'll have to drop this at her house. They wouldn't let me near the police station these days. Not with Le Mort around there. Nobody likes a disgraced officer.

A goat comes in. Roch stares at the goat for a moment with confusion and he takes a closer look at the goat's eyes. The eyes of the goat are unnaturally red and Roch slowly approaches it. The goat snatches the keys from his pocket.

ROCH CONT'D (mutters): Dear lord. (Speaks up) Let's make an alliance. If you give me back my keys, you can get anything else you want. Deal?

The goat bleats in his face before running away.

ROCH CONT'D: These darn goats! Always, creating chaos in this town.

Roch runs after the goat, leaving the office. CONNER and BELINDA walk into the office, unaware that Roch left frantically. Conner has his unfinished map, copy of the codex, and pencil in hand. Belinda is carrying her copy of the codex as well and she flips to an empty page excitedly.

BELINDA CONT'D: We're totally going to find something here.

CONNER: I'm almost finished with the map. I almost got every place on here. I just feel like there's something missing.

BELINDA: You do that, and I'll look for what Roch found.

Conner continues to scribble in the paper while Belinda explores the office. She shuffles through the stacks of paper but stops midway when her eyes catch sight of the envelope. She opens it and begins reading the letter.

BELINDA CONT'D: Conner, I think I found something. Get the codex.

Conner walks over and leans over Belinda's shoulder to see Roch's letter.

ROCH V.O. CONT'D: Isabel, I know you don't want to...hear from me. But you must know. Something dark is happening in our city. I can feel it in my bones. I can see it in their eyes. So bright. Filled with something. They know. I think it started at the Curio Shop. Maybe with Lilith. Where did she go? We never found her. Not a murder, just a disappearance. What was down in those catacombs? Why would she want to go there? Necromancy? Occult? They talk in code. Void, goats, machines. It's nonsense but it repeats. Repeating nonsense has some sort of meaning. If only I could crack it. Ambrose won't speak. I've read Lilith's note a thousand times and I'm no closer to understanding anything about it. But I do know one thing. I feel fear in my heart. And I fear for you. You should visit your relatives in Concordia. Stay safe for a little bit. Stay...out of the city. Please. For me? Signed, Roch.

Belinda reveals the photo. The photo reveals the unsettling photo of a shadow of a man with large goat horns.