Part 55

INT. GOAT MAN'S HOUSE – DAY

RANDI, MIN, CONNER, JORDANIA, NANCY, LUCY, ERLE and BELINDA all sit quietly as they stare at each other in uncertainty.

NANCY CONT'D: So, what's the meeting about?

MIN: Ideas on how to open the other areas.

CONNER: Isn't Le Mort going to tear down the church?

BELINDA: We need to go there!

RANDI: With what plan? We don't know what the hell we're doing, and we already visited the area multiple times with the damn key.

LUCY: We have?

ERLE: I think you and I weren't there for it.

JORDANIA: We need to have Vanessa around to open the areas. The key only seems to like her it seems.

NANCY: So, Vanessa is key?

CONNER: It seems like.

RANDI: I already had enough of this whole adventure. I didn't even want to go on the last trip.

JORDANIA: I paid you, didn't I?

RANDI: And it was still a waste of my time.

BELINDA: Can we just shut up and do the damn job?

ERLE: We have to reach out to Vanessa to do that.

Everyone begins to argue with each other and Jordania and Min sit there awkwardly.

JORDANIA CONT'D (speaks quietly to Min): I'll go talk to Vanessa. I know where she lives at least.

MIN (speaks quietly to Jordania): Are you sure?

JORDANIA: Yeah, I'll be fine.

Jordania quietly slips away from the chaos and waves Min good bye. Min gives a small wave back and watches the group.

CONNER (yells): Does anybody know when Ambrose is going to be released from jail? Roch isn't even an officer anymore!

LUCY: Conner, he could've died for all we know.

NANCY: Ambrose does deserve justice.

ERLE: What if he was a really bad guy?

LUCY: He was friends with Lilith, he couldn't have been.

RANDI: Mort guy is mayor now. He should be able to handle it. I don't think we should worry at all.

CUT TO:

INT. PRISON – DAY

The SHOP KEEPER rocks back and forth in his cell and his mumbling echoes in the hallway. THERON LE MORT scowls to himself and taps a bar with his keys. Shop keeper raises his head and smiles at the mayor.

SHOP KEEPER CON'TD: Is this my lucky day or am I being transported elsewhere?

LE MORT: Have you heard the news?

SHOP KEEPER: Which news? The news of new trade? A chicken got stolen?

Le Mort raises an eyebrow.

SHOP KEEPER CONT'D: Or do you mean the news that you got elected as mayor?

LE MORT: I wonder how you got so informed.

SHOP KEEPER: Oh, you know how word travels. The tweeting of the birds. The buzzing of the insects. The bleating of the goats.

LE MORT: I would like to remind you that all the nearby cells have been empty for months.

SHOP KEEPER: The guards like to visit me.

LE MORT: Hm, I suppose. But it's not their duty to gossip with you.

SHOP KEEPER: Gossiping isn't a nice pastime, but many do it.

LE MORT: Anyways, I'm here to see you for a reason.

SHOP KEEPER: Was it for a late birthday gift? Or is this a different occasion?

LE MORT: Very different.

SHOP KEEPER: Whatever could it be?

LE MORT: Do you recall that summer's night?

SHOP KEEPER: I'm only an old man. My memory doesn't serve me as well as it used to.

LE MORT: That summer's night, that woman gained something.

SHOP KEEPER: That woman? I knew many women back in my day.

LE MORT: Cut the shit. You know what I'm talking about. There were other people there and you know it. The citizens are still talking about it to this day.

SHOP KEEPER: My, has it only twenty-six years? Felt like only yesterday that we got a taste of such freedom.

Le Mort kicks the door angrily and the inmate doesn't flinch but instead gives a hoarse chuckle.

LE MORT CONT'D (angry): Where's Lilith?

SHOP KEEPER: Here, there, anywhere really. I don't get the privilege of receiving information.

LE MORT: Then you're of no use to me.

SHOP KEEPER: Was that all that you were here for?

LE MORT: Ah, thank you for reminding me.

Le Mort reaches into his pocket and pulls out a gun. He points it in Ambrose's direction and the old man looks at the gun in amusement.

LE MORT CONT'D: This will all come to an end.

He pulls the trigger.

CUT TO BLACK: